Ride the Tiger?

15 Aug

The first question I would have for Reanette Fillmer is what’s a  CALPELRA Labor Relations Master (CLRM) ?

PEOPLE

Reanette Fillmer

Consultant

t: 530.520.5775
f: 415.678.3838
rfillmer@publiclawgroup.com

Experience

Ms. Fillmer is a human resources consultant with the firm and has over 25 years of experience in public and private sector employee relations and human resources. Ms. Fillmer works with our public sector clients on a variety of human resources and personnel issues including: integrated disability management (FMLA/CFRA/PDL/ADA/FEHA), employee and labor relations, arbitrations and mediations, organization management, strategic planning, terminations, policies and procedures review, and recruitment. Her years of experience in both the public and private sector make her a valuable addition to the firm’s consulting team.

Related Experience

As a Human Resources Director with the County of Tehama, Ms. Fillmer oversaw all aspects of labor and employee relations including bargaining, mediation, arbitrations and PERB hearings, EEOC claims, contract interpretations, settlement agreements, and disciplinary issues. She also provided advice to all County departments regarding regulations and policies related to the Civil Rights Act, EEOC claims, ADA and FEHA considerations, workers compensation, recruiting standards, staffing and employee issues and investigations of complaints. Prior to taking a position with Tehama County, Ms. Fillmer served as the Human Resources Manager and Payroll Manager for the Sacramento Superior Court.

Community Activities

• Member of CPAAC
  • Member SHRM
  • Member of Tehama County Employer Advisory Board
  • Past member of Board of Directors for CSAC EIA
  • Served on CSAC EIA Primary Workers Comp Committee
  • Served on Legislative Committee and the Benefits Committee

Certifications

• Professional in Human Resources (PHR)
  • CALPELRA Labor Relations Master (CLRM)
About these ads

10 Responses to “Ride the Tiger?”

1. skeltonkelly August 15, 2014 at 5:57 am #

Ms. Fillmer’s CalPERLA certification would make her a good negotiator during contract talks with the public unions. I just hope that she would be tough enough to help the city get the contracts to a place where we’re not bankrupting the city with the overly generous benefits part of the overall compensation.

• Juanita Sumner August 15, 2014 at 8:14 am #

Yeah, that’s the question – would she be a good negotiator on the part of the city or on the part of the employees? I’m afraid we wouldn’t know until we got her in there.

She says she works for public agencies like Tehama County, but apparently she also works for Public Law Group, here’s the link:

This group is headed by an ex-CalPERS lawyer and a bunch of retired fire chiefs and other public sector Kling-ons. Read their blog – it seems to be all about employee rights. Not that there’s anything wrong with that!

Here’s one of their board of directors

You’ll find Reanette and others listed here:

Sounds sketchy, not sure what to think. I’m sure she can put a positive spin on it.

2. tj August 15, 2014 at 9:16 am #

Where is the part about “retired fire chiefs”?
    I don’t see anything about that.
    Retired fire chiefs that became lawyers?

• Juanita Sumner August 15, 2014 at 9:54 am #

keep looking, read up on all their staffers. Are you one of those kids who didn’t read the homework?

I’m just as curious as anybody. Maybe they’re specialists in helping the taxpayers rein in the contracts?

I’d love to hear from Reanette on this. She contacted me in my personal e-mail box to tell me she was running and raising funds, now I’d like to hear a little more about her.

• Juanita Sumner August 15, 2014 at 1:58 pm #

Here you go:

I saw what you wrote in response to my post on Michael’s blog, and I have to ask, why are you following me around, trying to undermine my credibility?

• tj August 16, 2014 at 12:30 pm #

OK, I did my homework, i think.
        From what I gather on that linked website, she is a consultant, not a partner in the firm or an attorney. Generally that means she gets tapped when the firm needs her expertise.
        Sounds like part-time temp assignment work to me. Most law firms do that, in fact the legal system pretty much requires it for due diligence. Calling in experts is not unusual depending on the details of individual cases. She may work for several law firms under the same conditions, even firms that are “pension unfriendly”. You’ll have to ask her that question yourself.
        It looks like the retired fire, police captains and city admin are the same situation as her. It is entirely conceivable to me that none of them even know each other or that she only works with one or two of the attorneys in that firm that deal with her area of expertise. Here is a little secret, sometimes cases are settled even before arbitration just by the team experts you have assembled, a dream team, so to speak.
        No one needs to undermine your credibility.
        Sensitivity is often a sign of weakness.

3. Jim August 15, 2014 at 2:18 pm #

In the past, the ‘negotiator’ the City hired, just gave the union everything they wanted. Why bother hiring someone to just cave in? All we need is just a clerk. The negotiator they hire should have specific requirement they must achieve or they don’t get paid. That will light a fire under their ass.

• Juanita Sumner August 16, 2014 at 5:32 am #

Yes, the “negotiator” always works close with the city manager to make sure management gets what they want. The classified staffers (lowest paid) have always paid “the full share,” while the cops, fire and management have been let get away with 0 – 4 percent. They only raised them to the same 9 percent because of persistent bitching Jim. You are so right – we have to keep that fire to their asses. We need to elect PENSION UNFRIENDLY councilors, that means, no more council members that get pensions themselves, or have anything to do with the pension system.

Reanette Fillmer is going to have to explain how she’s going to work for the taxpayers and not for the employees/herself.

• tj August 16, 2014 at 12:47 pm #

If she was working for the city as a negotiator (which I don’t see “negotiator” listed as any of her previous experience (I would appreciate correction on this)), your comments might carry some weight with me, but as a council person she would work for us, the people. If you are suggesting something nefarious this early in the race, well we can pull out our tea party hats and start a bonfire.
        Personally, I think I would want someone that knows what the union strategies are and to understand the entire system better. In a way with city budgets, you recently got that with Sorensen (someone who likes to dig in to the fiscal gray areas). Are you going to turn him down in this election because he now collects a pension from his new job?
        I don’t think it is important for council members to be good negotiators as I don’t think they really do much of that, and besides, that is a very specialized job. I would love it for them to know what negotiations can do though and how to keep us out of trouble. In this small town, I don’t really expect any of our council to be experts at anything, but lo and behold, here comes one. Possibly one that likes to swim in the details of labor issues, similar to Sorensen’s fiscal geek-on.
        If you’re going to limit your candidates to those that don’t get pensions, you can pretty much forget about most college graduates. You’re going to get a worse council than you have now, a butcher, baker and candle-stick maker in charge of $50 million city budget dollars of (our money) and contracts that bury us.
        You are right that you should ask her your questions, but painting her as a union loyalist before that, is ruining the credibility of this blog.
        You and this blog, creep me out.

• Juanita Sumner August 16, 2014 at 1:00 pm #

I expressed my feelings, I’ve got concerns about this woman, I’m asking questions. I’m not getting any real answers – you’re just “gathering”, you don’t know anymore than I do.

I must be on to something, or you wouldn’t be throwing such a bitch fit.