24 Aug

(You know, it’s always good to ask questions. People accuse me of making stuff up, but they never seem to offer anything better. If Joe Montes would like to step up and let us know exactly what’s going on here, he’s more than welcome. But I smell a rat, and I’ll beat the bushes if I have to.)

Well, Joe Montes finally admits that he was pushed out of the council race by people he won’t name. Read that here:

Melissa D. calls it an “ambush” – Montes received a friendly invitation to meet and was instead gang-jumped by a group of conservatives who very impolitely asked him to step aside. He won’t give any more details than that, so I am left to guess.

(This section cut due to some heavy pressure from Andrew Coolidge…)

I’m guessing these little gang-jumps take place in facilitator Larry Wahl’s office out on Nord (Update: Michael Jones has since informed me that Joe Montes told him that Larry actually tried to  talk Montes into getting back in the race – if this is true I certainly apologize for that accusation, but none of the following. ). Larry has invited me to “strategy” meetings at his office – I realized, the strategy was, “shut Juanita up.” Whenever you tender an opinion Larry Wahl does not like, he at first tries to sweet talk you out of it, then he just plain gets nasty up your ass. When neither tack worked with me, I got dumped from Larry’s mailing list. Not until I got a belly full of his efforts to cut property rights and bully his opponent out of the latest supervisor’s race.

I also suspect Mark Sorensen and Reanette Fillmer were behind Montes dropping out of the race. The conservatives have decided to go Cop Friendly, and  Joe kept talking about the conflict of interest that is presented when councilors accept campaign financing from the unions with which they bargain contracts. That’s about as clear as the nose on your face, but Sorensen and Morgan are ignoring this and hoping the public does same.

Reanette Fillmer, on the other hand, is a CalPERS toadie and  a cop groupie. Her first priority is to “fully staff” the police department. She says she’s concerned  about city finances as well but offers no plan to get employees to pay their own benefits and pension. Like Sorensen, who receives a pension from the city of  Biggs, she’s conflicted right up her ass.

These people are a pile of garbage. I believe they also talked Loretta Torres out of the race, although that’s certainly no loss.

Chico is in deep trouble folks. We have match of fist-puppets – either you can go with Gruendl and his little mob or Sorensen’s little mob. Ever watch “Gangs  of New York”?

13 Responses to “Chico politics have sunk to a new low – SOMEBODY bullied Montes out of the race because he calls council on their conflict of interest with the unions”

1. Bob H August 24, 2014 at 7:19 am #

Melissa D spins socialist garbage and you run with it? Why don’t you ask Joe. I did and found that the truth is not surprisingly far from Melissa’s fiction.

• Juanita Sumner August 24, 2014 at 7:44 am #

I didn’t run with Melissa’s story, I talked to Joe when he dropped out. He didn’t offer me any explanation, he just cancelled the date he’d made to talk to our group. I talked to Coolidge, and he admitted, even bragged about, participating in a similar gang-jump on Donnan.

And now you’re being secretive – “not surprisingly far from Melissa’s fiction” – what the hell is that supposed to mean? So, we’re left to guess. Why don’t you enlighten us Bob H.? Or maybe Joe would like to step out from behind his wife’s apron and let us all in on it. He should just come clean with it – I don’t have any more respect for Montes, by the way, for going along with it. Then he whines about being hoodwinked, but won’t say by whom?

Enough secrecy Bob, something bad is happening here, and you’re sitting on it – that makes you guilty.

2. MIchael Jones August 24, 2014 at 9:37 am #

After Montes announced his withdrawal, Wahl organized a meeting to try to talk Montes back into the race. I was invited to the meeting, but unfortunately didn’t make it.

• Juanita Sumner August 24, 2014 at 3:30 pm #

Thanks, I apologize for accusing Larry. Any idea who it was that pushed him out?

I’m left with guesses, if anybody has the real scoop, bring it on in.

3. bob August 24, 2014 at 4:06 pm #

The question ultimately boils down to do these candidates plan to represent special interests like the police, fire and other public employee unions and various other special interests (such as crony capitalists like Lando and his partners) or do they represent the people?

If it is the former I’m sure none of these candidates will endorse raising taxes but may turn right around and do so after they are elected or re-elected.

It is a shame that it is so hard to find and elect candidates who will represent the average taxpayer instead of the special interests. Why can’t we find an average taxpayer who will step in and stand up to them and damn the consequences? And if the consequences meant that it ended his/her political career he/she would just go back to their normal lives instead of trying to be a career politician. This was the idea with Arnold. He would stand up to the special interests and if they won he would just go back to being a movie star. And we saw how that worked out.

The reason is that people who are attracted to politics are in it to advance themselves, not stand up for the average person. These are people who are generally power hungry. They think they should decide how people are allowed to live their lives. Even if they start out with altruistic motives, power eventually corrupts them in one way or another. Even if they do nothing illegal they are still corrupted by power in that they begin to think and act as if they know what is best for everyone else (e.g. the plastic back ban, sales tax increases, etc.).

And as is always the case you can vote in a Democrat or a Republican but as George Wallace said there’s not a dime’s worth of difference: the special interests always win and you always lose (or nearly always).

This link just nails it.

This is why true change is not going to come from the politicians. It has to come from outside of politics and then it will “infect” politics because the politicians will have no choice but to change.

4. Andrew Coolidge August 24, 2014 at 10:44 pm #

Juanita, I never said that, I never bragged about an ambush, I never met with Dave, that is completely untrue. I am certain anyone at our meeting that day would verify that. Sean Morgan and I never met with Dave to get him out of the race, if anyone did, I wasn’t there. Ask Dave, he will verify that because it never happened. I don’t blame Dave for my loss. Dave was the fourth conservative to get in the race, Toby was fifth, but I don’t blame him either, in fact I don’t “blame” anyone. I made my best effort and left nothing in the table. Was it smart to run five conservatives for four spots, no it wasn’t and that I have said time and time again, but that is the way the cookie crumbles, am I happy we did it, no I’m not, but that is life. What happened with Joe and Loretta? I don’t know, because I was not at any meeting which took place and they will both verify that as well. Please verify before attacking, it makes everyone look bad.

• Juanita Sumner August 25, 2014 at 4:45 am #

Sorry – I’ll verify it. You said it, and I’m not backing down Andrew. You said Donnan wouldn’t back out, you were livid over a few hundred votes. Don’t be a liar, it makes you look bad.

don’t try to bully me the way you tried to bully Donnan.

• Andrew Coolidge August 25, 2014 at 9:12 am #

It isn’t true, because it never happened. End of story, remove the false comment. Verify your facts before you attack. Leave whatever other comment you like about me, just don’t tell people something occurred when it didn’t. I have never met with Dave, other than seeing him a variety of local functions. I never asked him not run, ever. If Dave wants to run he was welcome to do so.

• Juanita Sumner August 25, 2014 at 11:00 am #

Okay, I’m running your denial. I remember what I remember, you remember what you remember. I won’t have another verbal conversation with you without a tape recorder, and stop harassing me at my personal e-mail address. If you want to say something come to the blog. I will post your e-mails on the blog in future.

• Andrew Coolidge August 25, 2014 at 12:03 pm #

Emailing you to remove a false comment is not harassment. Remove the false comment, it is a total fabrication. Due the diligence needed to be taken seriously and call Dave. I never said it, because it never happened. It isn’t about memory, it is about what was really said and that wasn’t. I am certain you can verify with Kelly or Michael, who were also at the meeting. I never said anything about meeting with Dave.

• Juanita Sumner August 26, 2014 at 5:20 am #

I removed it Andrew. I took the debated comment off yesterday, and you’re still threatening me with phrases like “due diligence”, as if to prove my point, Mr. Bully. I know where this conversation is headed, but I also know, every time you come to this blog you’re just kicking yourself again.

5. Joe Montes August 26, 2014 at 1:24 pm #

Hi Juanita, I would like to clarify the record. I was invited by one person to attend a meeting with him and another person under the premise that important business development demographics would be shared that would be helpful to my campaign – as you know I’m interested in developing business in Chico. When I arrived at the meeting it quickly turned into a POLITE but focused conversation on why I should drop from the race because, as a newcomer to Chico who was gaining popularity, I would very likely end up splitting the vote with Andrew Coolidge. Although I did not like what I heard, I obviously accepted and acted upon the information after speaking with many others over the next two weeks – nearly everyone confirmed that term of residency was important in Chico.

I have not given names because I do not believe it is unimportant. I want to emphatically state that neither Mark Sorensen, Reanette Fillmer, Andrew Coolidge, Sean Morgan or Larry Wahl had any part to play in my decision to drop from the race. In fact, I didn’t even know Reanette until fairly recently, and Mark, Larry, Andrew, and Sean along with many others repeatedly asked me not to drop from the race.

On another point, I never used the term “ambushed” with Melissa, but I can see how she could reach that conclusion. I don’t believe the two people I met with were trying to hurt me, so I don’t think it was an ambush – I think they were simply trying to protect Chico. I haven’t provided much information on these events in the past because I just didn’t know my departure was an issue. Otherwise, I would have provided you and others information sooner. I appreciate the work you’re doing for the citizens of Chico and I hope in the near future I can contribute as much to this wonderful city as you have. Thank you Juanita. – Joe Montes

• Juanita Sumner August 26, 2014 at 1:46 pm #

Thanks Joe, but I’m disgusted. This sounds pretty bad. The voters are the ones who got “ambushed.”

Read it folks, you tell me what it sounds like.