7 Jul
Thanks to Connie for this article from Market Wired
California Water Service Group 11 hours ago

SAN JOSE, CA–(Marketwired – Jul 6, 2015) – On July 3, 2015, California Water Service Group’s (NYSE: CWT) largest subsidiary, California Water Service Company (Cal Water), filed a General Rate Case requesting authorization from the California Public Utilities Commission (Commission) to increase rates to add revenues of $94.8 million in 2017, $23.0 million in 2018, and $22.6 million in 2019.

According to President and Chief Executive Officer Martin A. Kropelnicki, about 80% of the requested increase is attributable to capital improvements needed to improve water supply and upgrade infrastructure in the communities Cal Water serves.

“We need to continue to invest diligently in water supply sources, as well as the pipes, pumps, treatment plants, and other facilities that are needed to provide a safe, reliable water supply to our customers. We are proposing water system improvements totaling $693 million, which is the most significant driver of the requested increase,” he said.

The filing reflects Cal Water’s aggressive cost control measures, which include reduced benefits costs and freezing employee headcount for all positions except those required to make water supply and system improvements.

“Our team has worked hard to control our costs in all parts of our business, and this application shows that effort,” Kropelnicki said.

The filing begins an 18-month review process by the Commission, with new rates expected to become effective in early 2017. The Commission requires a General Rate Case filing every three years to ensure that rates reflect the actual costs of providing service, while allowing the Company a reasonable return on investment in water system infrastructure. The Commission has the authority to approve rate increases that are lower than requested, but not higher.

California Water Service Group is the parent company of California Water Service, Washington Water Service Company, New Mexico Water Service Company, Hawaii Water Service Company, Inc., CWS Utility Services, and HWS Utility Services. Together these companies provide regulated and non-regulated water service to approximately 2 million people in more than 100 California, Washington, New Mexico, and Hawaii communities. Group’s common stock trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “CWT.” Additional information is available online at www.calwatergroup.com.

7 Responses to “Are you ready for another water rate increase? Cal Water Proposes to raise revenues by $95 million in 2017, another $23 million in 2018, and $23 million more in 2019 – where will YOU get that kind of money?”

1. bob July 7, 2015 at 12:10 pm #

I tell ya, they are really going to stick it to the little people.

The PUC is going to let PGE change it’s tiered model resulting in fewer tiers and higher rates for the little people. (Of course those in the program where the gummit pays won’t care.)

Now another water increase. And garbage rates going up. And then next year prepare for every trough feeder coming out of the woodwork for a sales tax increase here. And I hear the DemoNcrats are going to unlease a number of tax increase ballot measures at the state level.

These pigs are doing all they can to kill off people like me and you.

2. bob July 7, 2015 at 12:28 pm #

(Of course those in the program where the gummit pays won’t care.)

I think they call that program CARE. Maybe they should call it Don’t CARE because if the gummits footing the bill do you care how high the rates go?

3. skeltonkelly July 7, 2015 at 5:57 pm #

We knew it was coming, but damn, it’s hard to swallow! The citizens buckled up and are exceeding the required water conservation targets…only to hear that we will be “rewarded” for our good behavior by increased rates to keep the water companies afloat. How is this fair?! I’ve conserved. I use well under the minimum allowed in our city by about 50% and I can expect an increase on my bill for the trouble? I feel like going out and watering my dead lawn. Dang.

• Juanita Sumner July 8, 2015 at 4:34 am #

You said it Kelly.

According to my friend who is in contact with the CPUC and water company, Chico’s rate increase will be

19.1 % 2017
      1.6% 2018
      2.7% 2019

By the way, this is a new increase proposal, not the one the CPUC just approved last year.

• skeltonkelly July 8, 2015 at 8:18 am #

19.1%?! WTH?! It’s just not right…Where is the incentive to save water? They should offer some sort of DISCOUNT if you manage to hit the conservation targets they set, not a increase which basically penalizes you for conserving. Just messed up.

• Juanita Sumner July 8, 2015 at 8:24 am #

I agree.

This morning I have some stuff to do on the stove, so I am trying to contact the CPUC about this latest rate case filed July 3. I keep getting the same recording – “we are not able to answer your call…” On Wednesday morning after 9:00?

I’m trying to get some first hand information from this agency that is supposed to exist to protect our interests. I know, I’m a masochist.