7 Aug

Enjoying the air quality? Smells like CANCER! Well, when you get your terminal lung cancer diagnosis, you can thank the US Forest Service and Cal Fire. It’s official – USFS policy is LET IT BURN. They call it “management”, which sounds appropriate, when you consider, they just MANAGED to burn down another town.

Greenville was a damned nice town. Not only did my husband lay a lot of flooring in that area, but I have relatives scattered all over the little towns between Chester and Quincy. What Cal Fire has done is criminal.

I’ve asked this question on various social media sites, but nobody ever comes back with an answer. If the Dixie Fire is growing by thousands of acres per day, how the hell can they say it’s “contained”? Well, my neighbor, who is retired law enforcement, told me, “that means, ‘burned’, it won’t burn again… not right away anyway…”

According to this article from Wildfire Today,

our new USFS chief, Randy Moore, is going to change this policy.

In an August 2 letter to the field, new US Forest Service Chief Randy Moore said that because there is in a “national crisis”, they will not “manage fires for resource benefit”. In other words, instead of allowing fires to burn in order to replicate natural conditions and improve the ecosystem, they will put them out — at least to the best of their ability.

Given the resources, money, and manpower – including inmates from prisons – this fire should have been out already. They’ve admitted they are allowing it to burn, even increasing the burn area (and the toxic smoke) by setting “back fires”.

Another article on the same page says the vegetation in the Dixie Fire has not burned for over 40 years. I don’t know if that’s entirely true, but I know, when I was a kid, which was over 40 years ago, they did “controlled” burns in the winter, having cleared and stacked dead and diseased vegetation over the spring and summer. Who in their right mind would try to “control” or “manage” a fire in the conditions we’re facing right now, instead of during winter rains?

Apparently, USFS had a historic policy called the “10 am Rule” – meaning, put the fire out by 10 am on the second day. But every time there’s a new chief for USFS or Cal Fire, policy changes. In 2008, Cal Fire officially stopped doing fire prevention, saying this was up to the various counties and other local agencies. That was it, and now here we are.

I know, I’ll get some nasty comments on this one – go for it idiots. What the problem is right now, is all these cowboys are on overtime. They work 48 hour shifts, do the math. We’ve watched them pour in from departments all over the state, from as far away as Hawaii! It’s an overtime party, is all it is, and we’re paying for it in more ways than one.

RECALL NEWSOM!

10 Responses to “Greenville has been “contained”! They call that “management”. New USFS chief says they will suppress fires in future – we’ll see if he can get that policy into place before Cal Fire burns down any more towns!”

1. Jim August 7, 2021 at 7:41 am #

There are currently more fires in Idaho than in California. Is Idaho Newsome’s fault too? There are also wildfires in Greece, Turkey, Canada and Siberia, are these also Newsome’s fault?

Welcome to climate change. The hippie liberals have been warning about this for 30 years. Now it’s here.

• Juanita Sumner August 7, 2021 at 8:01 am #

I’m going to guess that Idaho, Greece, Turkey, Canada and Siberia have all followed the same laissez-faire policies as Cal Fire and the USFS. You’re at least as old as I am, and I don’t know if you’re from California, but I bet you’ve been living here long enough to remember when Cal Fire did prevention.

Yes, I believe in Climate Change – there’s a record for climate change that predates human habitation of the earth. The magnetic poles have switched a number of times, which wreaks havoc with climate. While humans continue to dirty their own nest, nothing we do will have any effect on Climate Change. Unlike you, my son actually has a degree in climate studies, and he agrees with me – we’re headed for the sun lickity split Jim, luckily neither you nor I will be here to worry about it.

And like Rick says in Casa Blanca, (I’ll paraphrase) – in the great scheme of things, the problems of measly humans are less than a hill of beans.

I’ll bet you’ll be glad to hear, I’m masking up! Although, the price of the real masks has gone from about $18 a dozen to $20 for 5 masks.

I’m still calling for the RECALL NEWSOM, and I’m endorsing Kevin Kiley for Governor.

• bob August 7, 2021 at 10:39 am #

Please tell us more, Jim.

Are the fires in Idaho the types of conflagrations we have here every year?

You say there are more fires right now in Idaho, but are they anywhere near the size of the huge Dixie fire or other fires currently burning in CA.

I’m not trying to be a smart @ss. I’d really like to have an accurate comparison.

I am considering moving to Idaho so I would like to know.

2. Jim August 8, 2021 at 8:21 am #

To be honest I’m not an expert on forest management, firefighting or climate science. However I do know that Idaho is as Republican as a state can get. I also know that most forests are federal and out of the control of the state governor.

I know that forest fires have been going on since God made trees. Back before Europeans came here, the natives would just pack up and move out of the way when a fire happened. Now people build permanent homes and communities in fire prone areas. When a fire happens they expect the government to rescue them. These are often the same people who usually hate the government.

Some people say that we should just let fires burn. They claim that fire is the natural way of clearing out forests.

The only thing I’m sure we all agree on is that we don’t like fires and smoke.

• Juanita Sumner August 9, 2021 at 6:28 am #

Well, what a nasty thing to say Jim.

When our rental house burned down in the Camp Fire, our son was living there. His roommate had moved out and they hadn’t switched PG&E to my son’s name yet. The garbage and water companies did not allow tenants to have accounts, those had to be in the owner’s name. So my son, left with nothing but the clothes on his back, his car, and his lunchbox (he was on his way to work that morning), did not have any proof of residence and was therefore left out of any kind of aid program. He wasn’t even allowed to go to the free clothing handouts, they wanted proof of residency.

We knew we had to act quickly, so we immediately send in our Right of Entry form for lot clearance. When we heard nothing from the county, my husband called to make sure the forms were in check. The man on the phone said they’d received our form weeks ago, but said we’d missed something, wouldn’t explain what. Instead of calling us, they put our ROE in the round file and we had to send in another one. Our lot was not cleared until August. That was the last “help” we got from the government. The whole thing was like a feeding frenzy.

The county made us resurvey the lot, even though 3 of our 4 markers were easily visible. The survey company told us it would be $3-5,000. They took forever, kept “losing” our paperwork, etc. We had to stay on them the entire time. They only needed to find one marker – charged us the entire $5,000.

PG&E was not moving on the trees, so we had to bring in a tree company at our own expense – $12,000.

Paradise Irrigation District demanded a “backflow” device – that should have been installed when the house was originally hooked up. That’s why water was contaminated all over town. That cost us almost $1000.

The mess left by county lot clearance had to be graded – luckily my husband inherited his dad’s tractor. Yeah, right in the middle of all that, my father-in-law died and we had his ranch and over 20 head of livestock to deal with. And NO help from the government, even though my father-in-law was a faithful government employee for almost 50 years, including a stint in Vietnam.

Back to Paradise, my husband graded the lot and then we had to deal with the broom brought in by the county dozers. It started to take over the entire neighborhood, a natural torch standing over my head. Tough as hell to cut, my husband had to use our hedge trimmer, and then we had to take it in for a new blade – $$$$$$!

But once our contractor got going the house started to appear very quickly. We went with the same footprint and floorplan but the code upgrades were really expensive – our little $200,000 cottage turned into a $300,000 McMansion pretty fast.

Yes, thank goodness, we had insurance. And since we’d only bought the house about a year and a half previous, our insurance was up to date. A lot of people up there had little or no insurance. Remember the insurance company from Modesto had overwritten and went belly-up within a couple of weeks after the fire? Our neighbor across the street was building, he was one permit away from sign-off the day of the fire. The county called him on a two-inch difference on his back steps and didn’t sign him off. So he had NO INSURANCE when the fire came. Now he and his family are living in trailers on the site, trying to put their lives back together, and the town is trying to tell him he can’t stay there anymore.

By the way Jim – I watched the news yesterday morning, and heard your governor use almost exactly the same comment, word for word, that you brought to the blog. What are you, a parrot?

• Jim August 10, 2021 at 6:22 am #

I didn’t intend to be nasty and I’ve very sorry you lost a home in the fire. I’m also sorry that your son had such difficulty getting assistance. I’m also troubled that the Town of Paradise has made rebuilding so difficult.

However it is great hubris to think we can overcome nature. We have been lucky for a while but things are changing and fires will get worse. Fire fighting can only go so far in protecting fire prone areas. Some are advocating wide swaths of clear cutting fire breaks to protect towns. Perhaps that is what is necessary.

The reality is that the Titanic was in fact sinkable. As humans we can only defy nature briefly, it at all.

• Juanita Sumner August 10, 2021 at 7:15 am #

Jim, let’s get this straight – THIS FIRE WAS NOT CAUSED BY NATURE, it was caused by PG&E and the lack of forest management. The Camp Fire was also caused by PG&E.

Here’s another thing you didn’t know – it was two entire days before any firefighters arrived at the scene of the Camp Fire. Cal Fire had called it a season at the end of September, and the planes, personnel and other equipment was scattered all over the US. We stayed at the hotel in Chester where a lot of them were staying. We listened to them one morning in the breakfast room – “I was in Idaho when I got the call…” “I was at Jackson Hole at my family cabin…” Etc. The local firefighters all retreated. The town and surrounding areas were left to burn unfettered for two days. People because nobody came to save them.

We’re done here, okeedokee?

3. bob August 8, 2021 at 4:30 pm #

I am unaware of any other state as bad or worse than California (and particularly this area). Where else do you have infernos every year and the air is very unhealthy to hazardous for weeks at a time? I don’t see that changing here anytime soon, and obviously, I don’t want to move to any place like that.

4. Stephen Jackson August 11, 2021 at 4:46 pm #

Juanita, there’s something bigger going on in this county with regard to fires. Our local government has turned our citizens disasters into the government’s profits…fire recovery has become big business and IF you get burned out and don’t act quickly, the county will act on your behalf and then place a lien against your property for the cost of the mandated clean up. Citizens should demand answers from their Board of Supervisors AND the District Attorney (the person that sells the land after having been seized). How many fire victims have lost their land to the very county government that’s supposed to protect them? Who do you suppose is buying this newly-devalued land?

• Juanita Sumner August 11, 2021 at 6:10 pm #

I know Supervisor Doug Teeter bought his neighbors’ devalued lots and enlarged his property at outrageous prices. I hope the outrage motivates people to act.