Measure J – That’s Ann Schwab sliding her hand into your purse.

23 Aug

The other night the Chico City Council signed a new city manager at $217,000 a year, plus benefits. That’s an increase of about 14 percent over retiring city manager Dave Burkland’s salary. Meanwhile, the median American income, according to the census bureau, has fallen by 7 percent. In Chico, the 2010 figure for median income was about $38,000. Seven percent would be a hit of over $2500. OUCH!

I wonder if the researchers took into account those families whose incomes have remained fairly steady, while expenses like utilities and taxes have grown unrepentantly. You’ve probably received the same notices I have got from PG&E and Cal Water – they seem to raise rates at will these days. You probably read Cal Water’s notice that we weren’t using enough water so they had to raise rates to recoup money they spent when they thought we were going to use a lot of water. But,  talking out both sides of their mouth, they raise the rate per ccf tremendously when we use over a certain amount of water – to encourage us to conserve water! What kind of circular bullshit is that?

The same circular bullshit you get from the city of Chico, that’s what.  For several years now we have heard one report after another about our dismal financial situation. We had to close a fire station for a month.  We can’t keep enough cops on the street to serve a citation for a second noise complaint. We don’t have enough money to fix our streets. We don’t have enough money to properly maintain Bidwell Park.  But without missing a beat, they tell us they are increasing their own salaries.  They are signing a contract with Chico PD that gives them a raise, along with structured overtime and pays the “employees’ share” of their benefits and pension premiums. And now they hire a guy at $217,000  a year, plus the benefits and pension payments, whose successor in Hemet is only making $162,000 a year.

And they propose to cover these asinine appropriations by raising our taxes. That is the intention behind the phone tax –  measure J – already placed on this November’s ballot, as well as the motivation behind Tom Lando’s coming sales tax increase proposal – watch for that in a special election in 2013.

Measure J is our immediate problem. It is billed by it’s sponsors, including Mayor Ann Schwab, as a tax reduction.  Sure, they will lower the existing land line tax from 5 percent to 4.5. But this measure will allow them to extend the tax to cell phones, pagers, and forms of electronic communication that have not even been introduced to the consumer yet.   This measure will allow the city Finance Director to add any future form of electronic communication that is included in your phone bill to the tax base without consulting the voters. You will simply see the increase on your phone bill.

Remember when the only people who had cell phones, or “mobile phones,” were guys like Elvis Presley? Yeah, a cell phone used to be for rich people only, a status symbol even. Well, try living without one today.  Land lines are pretty unreliable – unless you live within a few blocks of the router over in college town, you get hit and miss service, at best. When we had AT&T, we’d be without either phone or internet service for days at a time.  We felt forced to switch to cell phones. When my son was looking for a job, they expected him to have his own cell phone, mom or dad’s number was a real turn-off to employers.  So, yes, in this day and age, not having a cell phone has become akin to not having a car – what’s wrong with you?

This cell phone tax is a matter of TAKING, by people who just expect to TAKE. The city does nothing to guarantee or improve or even cheapen the cost of your cell phone service. They’ve actually refused to permit cell phone towers on occasion, citing “aesthetics.” But they expect to add a 4.5 percent TAX to a service you contract with a commercial provider?

We need to get the word out on this TAKING. Ann Schwab and her friends are billing it as a TAX DECREASE! You know better, and you need to tell your friends, your co-workers, and people with whom you do business – you need to start telling everybody you know who lives in the city of Chico, that they are about to be had.

I’m starting with my close friends, and then I’m going to mail letters to people like my dentist, my auto shops, my vet, etc. You would be surprised how many people don’t know what this phone tax is all about. People who don’t have time to educate themselves often depend on their friends to give them the heads-up. Be a good friend, tell everybody you know about this tax.

That’s Measure J, Ann Schwab’s plan to stick her little pig nose into your phone bill.  Bad Pig! Time to give her a sharp rap across the snout – No on J!

9 Responses to “Measure J – That’s Ann Schwab sliding her hand into your purse.”

1. Joseph August 23, 2012 at 12:04 pm #

So lemme git this straight…The incompetents on the city council increase our cost for a new city manager by 14% (more when benefits are factored in) by giving this new bureaucrat a whopping quarter million dollar salary while Hemet gets rid of a liar and finds a replacement for $162,000?

And meanwhile the city council approved a tax increase measure for the ballot that they lie about and the call it a tax decrease? And these thieves will most likely be back next year to try to increase our sales tax? (And let’s not forget the idiotic grocery bag issue they will ram down our throats.)

For the life of me I cannot understand why people are not FURIOUS over all of this!

The whole situation is beyond absurd. But just look at the idiots like Libby. And even Sorensen and Evans going along with some of this nonsense. Unfreaking believable. Has the world gone mad?

• Juanita Sumner August 23, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

I am also stymied as to how to get people to wake up and smell the skunk cabbage.

I’m writing letters to people – friends, business contacts, etc. I hope you will do same. Write to business owners you know who do business in the city of Chico – Sorensen was saying, a lot of business people use that “voice over internet protocol,” and that’s one of the services that will be taxed. He predicts that will amount to hundreds of dollars a year for the average business, just that service.

• Joseph August 23, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

Well, I tell ya, Juanita, I got no friends in this town. Not anymore. But it’s prolly for the best becuase the more I’m around people the more I like my dog, and I don’t even have a dog! 🙂

But maybe it’s for the best cause it sure seems like I’m living in an insane asylum sometimes. But I will do what I can although about all I’ve been able to do recently is piss people off. (But hey, they more than deserve it!)

It’s really amazing. We have a country that’s totally bankrupt both financially and morally, nationally, at the state level and locally.

You got a federal (aka feral) gummit $16 trillion in debt with unfunded liabilities of $222 trillion and untenable finances at the state and local levels.

And the idiots running things have their foot stomped down on the accelerator heading us straight for the cliff.

Heck, Sorensen realizes the city pension situation is completely untenable so what’s he do? Vote to give this new joker a 14% higher salary than the old joker and pensions are based on salary! But what the hay, the new joker is a Lando Boy so it’s OK, right?

• Juanita Sumner August 23, 2012 at 7:57 pm #

Well, you know, you are among good company down here! Including Biscuit.

You’re right, it’s INSANE the level people will allow themselves to sink to, the stuff they’ll put up with, just to avoid having to actually “do something” about it.

It’s like the progressive commercial where the guys’ pants catch on fire. Can’t you just imagine that, all these idiots Downtown, just walking around, their pants spontaneously combusting from all the lies. That does paint a funny picture.

2. Joseph August 23, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

Hah! It turns out this Nakumura is a Lando boy. Figures!

That Lando is lower than a snakes belly and has his hooks into everything and everyone!

• Juanita Sumner August 23, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

Well, nothing surprises me anymore.

Hee, hee, looks like I scooped Gascoyne though!

3. Joseph August 23, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

Do you know why Sorensen went along with the absurd city manager replacement process?

Well, if you guessed Lando you really got things figured out:

When it comes to back room deals and favoritism Lando has a lot more juice than I ever imagined!

Dang, I smell a sales tax increase coming…or is that just the sewers backed up again?

If anyone can get a sales tax increase through, it’s Lando. I gotta admit, he’s a much more formidable foe than I ever imagined.

• Juanita Sumner August 23, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Sorensen swears that Nakamura was the best candidate for the job. But, you know, it’s all about Lando and his little circle of friends, you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours. If Sorensen doesn’t think this looks bad, I guess he’s as out of touch with reality as the liberals. I hope he doesn’t run for another term on council.

but don’t let Lando get you all upset, he’s a giant pandering woos. If we can overturn the phone tax, I think we can scare him out of town.

• Joseph August 23, 2012 at 4:45 pm #

It’s really amazing.

Here you have a wheeler dealer going in and out of gummit and influencing those in gummit, clearly exhibiting cronyism and favoritism.

And you have the News and Review and even Sorensen telling us how wonderful it is and how lucky we are to have a trough feeder like Lando!

UNFREAKING BELIEVEABLE!