Meet the Taskmaster!

11 Dec

Just when you forgot how pissed you were about the bag ban and the Climate Action Plan (CAP) and all those ridiculous edicts out of the appropriately named “Sustainability Task Force,” here they come again. But there’s been a long-awaited shake-up on the STF. If you thought Ann Schwab was a tight-assed little fascist, just wait til you get a load of new chair Mark Stemen. For years Stemen complained that the STF had no teeth, wasn’t quick enough to mandate human behavior change, and that Chico was going to perish as a result of our inaction regarding global warming. I like Mark, I think his heart is oftentimes in the right place, but he’s way too quick to place himself above the law and try to mandate the behavior of others.

Tomorrow Stemen and the other members of the task force will be sworn in, read their rights and responsibilities, and given a quick overview of the Climate Action Plan and how the city has moved, or not moved in Stemen’s opinion, to implement this plan.

Honestly, I haven’t read the plan for over a year. It was offensive to me,  but I can’t remember the particulars. Of course, some of this stuff makes perfect sense – cut electrical usage in public buildings by implementing agreed upon efficiency standards – a no brainer, as far as I’m concerned. But, I could never understand why they still ran the air conditioning at City Hall until everybody was forced to carry a sweater. That’s changed now, but only because we’re facing bankruptcy and they can’t afford the rates they helped PG&E jack up. The whole thing has always seemed completely stupid and hypocritical to me. And now we’ve got Stemen, who’s ready to force us to do what he thinks is for our own good!

That’s the Sustainability Task Force, 5:30 pm, tomorrow (Thursday December 12) in conference room 1, at City Hall.

9 Responses to “Meet the Taskmaster!”

1. Mark December 11, 2013 at 10:35 am #

It will be good to see you again too, Juanita. Take care, Mark

• Juanita Sumner December 11, 2013 at 4:20 pm #

A-HA! I knew I could get you to comment on that one – hah!

Yeah, it’s going to be fun, I’ll be there to keep you on your toes, and you’ll be there to keep my blood pressure through the roof!

• Juanita Sumner December 12, 2013 at 7:53 am #

And Mark, if you’re still there – somebody sure hammered this post last night – we need to get through that meeting forthwith tonight – broadcast tv is playing “The Day The Earth Stood Still” at 7pm, and I know that has to be one of your top ten as well. So just let Debbie do her thing, nod alot, don’t talk, or we’ll never get out of there.

I’m making my move on the door at 6:30.

Klaatu borada nikto!

• Juanita Sumner December 16, 2013 at 5:35 am #

You know what your problem is Mark – you got no game.

You come and take a little potshot here and there, you come by to let me know you’re “out there,” skulking and sulking, but when it comes to having a real conversation on this stuff – you don’t have one.

Now your father, HE’S got game…(sorry, can’t help it, that’s the rest of the quote from the movie…)

2. Mark December 16, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

Okay, what do you want to talk about? I didn’t really see any questions. Claiming all I want to do is force you to do what I think is not what I would consider an effective conversation starter . . .

Mark

• Juanita Sumner December 17, 2013 at 4:52 am #

I’m sorry, I had to flush you out. I can’t stand a lurker. I could feel your presence, like a spy. Why lurk here? Why not argue with me over the cost of staff and the Brown Act?

• Mark December 17, 2013 at 8:25 am #

I have no argument with you over the cost of staffing or the Brown Act. As you saw that night, I understand the Brown Act. I feel no need to discuss the CAP with my fellow STF members outside of the meetings, nor was my attempt to hold a meeting outside of their structure a violation of the Brown Act.
        If I have a beef about the Brown Act is is with the City. They are interpreting the Act in a way that says only they can notice the public, and more importantly, only they can take minutes, which is not true. Last night at the BPPC meeting, Dan E told the members of the tree committee they could not meet without him or staff, and they didn’t have time right now, even though the committee has not met in months. Mark H asked directly if a member of the committee could take minutes, and he had to admit they could, but he would prefer they not. So they won’t, and thus the key documents the rest of the City staff needs from the BPPC sit on a shelf in draft form.
        The STF will operate differently.

• Juanita Sumner December 17, 2013 at 10:09 am #

I’m uncomfortable with your interpretation of the Brown Act. I’ll ask the city attorney’s office and see what they say, get back to you. But I’m going to take it to the other blog – thanks for coming over.

3. Mark December 17, 2013 at 10:50 am #

What makes you uncomfortable?