Is this guy for real, or is somebody punking me?

3 Sep

Juanita

Did you receive my email earlier ?

Since you are a constant attendee to the CARD Board meetings I would like to pick your brain regarding the financial picture of this organization.  From one of the things I have read is that their budget is over $6 million and $5 million of that goes to 32 full time employees…is that right ?  and that they are paying for the employee retirement ?  I hear that their medical coverage is terrible

Can I buy you lunch this week and talk more ?

Dave Donnan

10 Responses to “Is this guy for real, or is somebody punking me?”

1. Mark September 3, 2014 at 11:18 am #

Dave is for real, and in his circles, it is common to talk over lunch. Heck, Michael and Kelly have been keeping the downtown afloat by having lunch or dinner with so many folks to talk ChicoPolitics. 🙂

• Juanita Sumner September 3, 2014 at 2:54 pm #

It’s not that he’s asked me out for lunch, it’s that he expects me to do his work for him. See response to Bob.

I can’t believe he’d run for a board he’s never even been to a meeting or read the documents easily available right on the website. I’m so offended I haven’t even responded to him – for Pete’s sake, he could at least read the damn blog!

• Mark September 3, 2014 at 3:53 pm #

I agree Dave is being lazy. You spell it all out on the blog. At the same time, many folks have asked me to explain the STF.

• Juanita Sumner September 4, 2014 at 5:39 am #

You mean candidates or citizens in general? Tell them to get off their dead asses and come to a meeting.

I don’t come to meetings anymore because it seems like a complete waste of time without any other members of the public. I love it when people who never attend a meeting have the nerve to tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about.

2. bob September 3, 2014 at 12:14 pm #

I’d be careful…politicians (and hopeful politicians) are always offering free lunches…

• Juanita Sumner September 3, 2014 at 2:54 pm #

Well, he’s doing a pretty good Dabney Coleman from “9-5” – I guess that makes me Lily Tomlin – I guess that’s cool.

• skeltonkelly September 4, 2014 at 6:47 am #

Politicians may offer free lunches, but Michael and I are just interested in talking with candidates one-on-one on myriad of issues that face downtown and the city of Chico. We want to get to know the candidates and other city leaders more than you can usually achieve by attending a meeting with dozens of others or making a phone call. We’ve really enjoyed meeting with the candidates and appreciate the time they’ve taken to explain their positions while we gently grill them.
      BTW, I can’t speak for Michael, but I have no interest in holding any political office. Ever.

• Michael Jones September 4, 2014 at 1:53 pm #

I want my daughter to be the seventh member of a Council split 3 progressives and 3 conservatives.

3. Dave September 3, 2014 at 4:28 pm #

Juanita
    I think you should know me better than that after all of these years. This was a positive invitation to you because I believe that you are a very smart person who pays attention to detail when it comes to taxpayers money. I have read the documents and have done business with CARD for over 20 yrs. One as the president of Chico Cal and Chico Youth Soccer leagues and the treasurer of Chico Senior Softball. We have contracts for 20th st and Sycamore Fields to utilize those facilities. My children and grandchildren have been in the after school programs which is the most profitable of CARD programs and the youth programs are run at a loss. I umpire baseball and softball games at Doryland and 20th st…….I play in CARD sponsored programs….and attend dancing at senior sponsored events….I don’t think you could say that about any other director on the CARD board. I play softball all over the western USA and see what kind of facilities that Elk Grove, Portland, Phoenix, Carson City, Reno, Las Vegas, Manteca, Redding, Folsom etc, etc etc. As an ex professional ballplayer I have talked with the local people that wanted to bring a professional minor league team here affiliated with the Seattle Mariners and build a stadium with private money. I believe that there could be a public/private partnership in a regional park (over 600 acres) that could accommodate Aquatic Center, skate park, BMX bike, softball complex, soccer fields, football, water park, minor league baseball, gymnasium, etc, etc etc…..we have some of the best athletes in the world coming out of Chico and have crap for facilities. We had 2 little league teams go to National Championships, we have NFL MVP in Aaron Rodgers (who by the way would like to invest his own money in projects like this)
    Juanita, facilities like this can bring in lots of money by the way of tournaments, swim meets and different sporting events. There are only 2 times that the motels are filled in Chico….one is during graduation and second this weekend with the Gold Cup races. When people participate in these activities they eat at our restaurants, stay at motels, buy gasoline and are usually hear only on the weekends.
    All I wanted is your opinion because I respect you and all the time and effort you put in to our community. Regardless if you agree with my opinion or not I would still like to meet with you.
    By the way I agree with you 110% that salaries and benefits are way out of line and need to come back down to earth

• Juanita Sumner September 4, 2014 at 5:38 am #

Wow, look who finally came around.

You act like you were trying to do me a favor by asking me to do your homework for you, what nerve you got Mister!

Well, tell the voters that – you play in CARD programs, but you’ve never attended a board meeting? Never read the budgets available on the website?

You didn’t help us with Measure J, you’ve never supported the speaker series, you’ve never busted a sweat to help me with anything, but you expect me to bring you up to speed on meetings you never bothered to attend so you can run for an office you don’t know anything about? You have never treated me with anything resembling respect in past – I’ll never forget how you accused me of saying the word “shit” at a morning meeting, trying to undermine my confidence. Now you’re pandering because you’re desperate.

If you knew anything about the budget, you’d know that all those little fantasies about an aquatic center and big new skate park, blah blah blah – they don’t have the money for that Dave, they are hardly staying afloat, cutting workers’ hours to keep from having to pay benefits. Yes, the salaries and benefits are way out of line – how come nothing out of you until now? This has been going on for years. How come you didn’t sign up for the aquatic center committee? How come, how come, how come?

I don’t buy it Dave, go peddle your papers somewhere else.