7 Sep

I don’t know if you’ve heard, the Marysville city council voted to put a one cent sales tax increase on their upcoming ballot. As you’d expect in a town that defeated a similar proposal in 2008, there’s opposition. But something Democracy minded citizens might not expect was how the opposition was treated by the city clerk.

According to Lou Binninger in the Territorial Dispatch

( read the full story here – http://territorialdispatch.biz/2014/sept/Sept3-2014WEB.pdf   )

the Marysville City Clerk gave the anti-tax group the wrong deadline and therefore prevented them from submitting their ballot arguments. When the group showed the clerk a note in her own handwriting with the wrong deadline, she still refused to accept their arguments. The city attorney backed her up, saying all the city has to do is post an obscure notice in whatever newspaper they think can bury it the farthest in the want ads.

I’m not surprised, Chico City Clerk Debbie Presson has given me misinformation, and then handed me nothing but a dumb giggle and “I’m so sorry!”  But  to those of you who have not yet been hipped to the true meaning of “public servant,” it would still come as a shock that these people work to feather their own nests instead of safeguarding the public interest.

I expect this or a very similar scenario to play itself out right here in Chico in 2016. We’ve already heard the cops asking for some sort of public safety tax, probably an increase in sales tax. As busy as I will be over the next year or so, I will  keep Chico Taxpayers up and running, let’s try to get ready for another go-around like Measure J, it might be fun.

13 Responses to “See what’s ahead for Chico in the next couple of years…Marysville city staff play dirty with November tax increase measure”

1. bob September 7, 2014 at 3:51 pm #

…was given to City
    Clerk Billie Fangman. She rejected it…

Dang, Fangman! The perfect name for a tax demanding, tax grabbing, tax eater!

So they would have an 8.5% sales tax if that passes. At what point do people revolt?

I don’t know about you but I’ve noticed prices for pretty much everything going up (or the amount you get goes down or both). Inflation is much higher than the lying government statistics.

So the government gets built in tax increases when we buy taxable items and services. Yet this is not nearly enough for the tax eaters.

Not only should the people of Marysville vote down that increase, they ought to vote all the politicians supporting this out of office and the ones not up for re-election should be re-called.

2. bob September 7, 2014 at 4:00 pm #

But to those of you who have not yet been hipped to the true meaning of “public servant,”…

I just picture the rattlesnake you ran into a while back. Public serpents, indeed. As Steve Greenhut notes, “The public’s servants have truly become the public’s masters.”

The real standard of living for private sector workers has been going down for decades and they no longer receive pensions. Today it is expected that private sector workers will work themselves to the bone until they die so that public employees can enjoy salaries, benefits and pensions that those in the private sector can only dream of.

• Juanita Sumner September 8, 2014 at 5:13 am #

You know, I feel bad whenever I kill a rattler. They eat rats, which seem to breed without any sense. I keep telling my husband how sorry I am, and he reminds me – you can buy a bag of rat traps for less than $20, a snake bite means a trip to Enloe…Then he reminds me how many times the neighbor’s dog, Otis, has been bit – he just went back to the vet yesterday because the last bite remains infected. So, I try to picture Scott Gruendl’s head on that snake, or Mark Sorensen. That puts the whole episode into perspective for me.

I think of those guys as snakes because they say they work for us but they really work for themselves, like you say – “public service” – ha ha ha. Years ago, when Gruendl was still blowing hot air up my ass, he told me he wanted to “get some real salaries in this town!” I honestly thought he meant private sector jobs, I had no idea he was planning to participate in the biggest embezzlement scheme ever run.

3. bob September 7, 2014 at 4:03 pm #

Yup, and let’s not forget we already have one candidate for city council backing a sales tax increase.

My guess is that the cops team up with Lando and other trough dwellers to get a sales tax increase, a large portion of which will go for “public safety” while promising all sorts of goodies to a gullible public. (Hell, it would probably pass in a landslide if they promised everyone a free icecream cone.)

• Juanita Sumner September 8, 2014 at 5:14 am #

No, I had not heard a city council candidate backing the sales tax increase – WHO?

• bob September 8, 2014 at 8:10 am #

Rodney Willis wants a quarter cent increase for police.

• Juanita Sumner September 8, 2014 at 2:19 pm #

I should have guessed – none of the others will touch that one, until they get their butts planted firmly in those seats.

I have no use for the Chamber or Women’s League forums because they never ask any real questions, just fluffy junk to give each candidate a chance to throw out their little rainbow promises, never anything real.

Like, “will you vote to put a sales tax increase on the ballot?”

When I tried to get them to answer that two years ago, they were just rude, put me off, wouldn’t even admit they could do such a thing.

I’ll echo your question – why are people putting up with this?

• bob September 8, 2014 at 3:42 pm #

Isn’t Lando in cahoots with the Chamber of Commerce?

Was he on it’s board?

A couple of years ago I called the Chamber and asked if they’d oppose a sales tax increase. I thought this would be a no brainer for them but they refused to oppose one or make any comment.

Then I recall hearing Lando was some how affiliated with the Chamber.

If so, it shows the Chamber is just another crony capitalist organization and does not believe in free markets.

• Juanita Sumner September 9, 2014 at 5:04 am #

He was chair of the chamber for a few years. I believe the chamber already supports the idea of a sales tax. All those business owners are pro-cop, because they’re afraid of the general public. They know they don’t serve the general public, so they think we all want to steal from them.

The cops have generated a very “us against them” sentiment in town.

• bob September 9, 2014 at 4:51 pm #

Well, I already pay too much in taxes.

I will not shop at those business who are not opposed to a sales tax increase. I have reached my limit.

• Juanita Sumner September 9, 2014 at 5:25 pm #

Today I wrote a letter to the editor about the employee contracts, which are up in December. I notice Garry Cooper wrote a similar letter printed today. I hope we can all focus on this issue, put some real heat on council to write better contracts.

They will probably be more forward with their sales tax hike campaign after January, I’m ready for it.

4. bob September 9, 2014 at 5:57 pm #

Did you see this? Unfreaking believable! That Schwab is not just a carpetbagger!

• Juanita Sumner September 10, 2014 at 5:20 am #

thanks for hipping me Bob – that Michael Jones, he’s a dynamo!