23 Jan

I got this link from fellow blogger Anthony – thanks!

11 Responses to “Ban the Bag Ban – interesting website shows widespread opposition to the bag ban”

1. bob January 23, 2015 at 7:50 pm #

Wow, Huntington Beach got rid of their ban. So why can’t these so-called conservative on our city council do the same? They could do it in March or April if they want and if they are willing to by pass the one year limit they could do it now. My prediction is they do nothing.

2. bob January 23, 2015 at 8:09 pm #

Makes me wonder about the silence of the majority on the city council…..you think that rent seeking crony-cr@pitalist in Oroville who imports those slave labor made Chinese bags has anything to do with it? Did he contribute to their campaigns in some way?

• Juanita Sumner January 24, 2015 at 6:24 am #

I think the conservatives want to let the bag ban ride – they think we need to do that kind of stuff to make our town look trendy and modern. I think the coin is going to flip on them, and they will end up looking like a pile of turnips that have just fallen off a truck.

• bob January 24, 2015 at 10:47 am #

I think the bottom line is not much will change with this new majority.

They will do nothing about the bag ban.

They will not get rid of STF.

It looks like they will leave the arts council as it was.

They will continue to give away the store to the public employees unions.

But if there is something that will enrich their cronies they will be right on top of it, like Coolidge and that junk yard. I don’t know all the details and maybe the city was too heavy handed, but did hear that the junkyard owners were contributors to Coolidge.

• Juanita Sumner January 24, 2015 at 7:20 pm #

I hear you, but I’m so worried about what they’re going to do with the police contracts, the bag ban’s just not hitting my red button right now. It does, here and there, but mostly I worry the “fiscal conservatives” are going to give the away the store.

• bob January 25, 2015 at 2:57 pm #

Yes, the CPOA and the othe union contracts are more important.

It’s just that the bag issue hits you in the face everytime you go to the store like yesterday when I forgot mine.

• Juanita Sumner January 26, 2015 at 4:31 pm #

It’s like getting a little electric jolt every time you go to the store. We forgot ours the other day, so we just put everything back in the cart and took it to the car. We had put a cardboard box in the back seat for such an occasion, so all the little items didn’t go bouncing and jogging around the car. But things get dirty, it’s kind of disgusting.

Yes, people adapt. The British adapted to the Blitzkrieg and the Germans adapted to a potatoes only diet for years. I’ll buck up for their stupid bag ban, but yeah, the first chance I get to pull the rug out from under them I’m going to do it.

3. Jim January 24, 2015 at 8:22 am #

I hate the bag ban, however I have to admit that I like using the reusable bags I got at winco.

• Juanita Sumner January 24, 2015 at 8:36 am #

It’s the insult of being told how to live. I was already using “re-usable bags,” I know things were changing. The ban is not about cleaning up the planet but about securing grants, and keeping up with the Joneses. Also, I believe there is a lot of pressure from the big grocery chains and the unions. I don’t have time to go into that, but I’m not the only one who suspects they had more to do with it than the one woman who brought it forward to the city council.

4. jiminchico January 26, 2015 at 9:51 am #

I agree with you, it’s the having this thing forced on us that I have a problem with. I would have no problem with encouraging use of reusable bags. Banning is too much.

• Juanita Sumner January 26, 2015 at 4:32 pm #

I really think you and Bob are fairly representative of what people think of this ban.

But yeah, a few of my friends have told me those Winco bags are pretty ginchee!