19 Feb

Here it is, February 19, and still no campaign final report from the Chico Police Officers Association, which were due January 31. I don’t know if the clerk has the reports, but she hasn’t posted them on the website.

The City Clerk’s Office will post copies of all current election campaign statements as soon as possible after receipt.  Addresses of individual contributors have been omitted as required under the Public Records Act for internet posting.  Please note that a prima facie review of the documents has not been done prior to posting, and amendments may be requested of the candidates or committees.

“…as soon as possible after receipt...” without “prima facie review”, which should mean it gets posted as soon as they get their hands on it.

No, I’m not going to her office. That’s what the website is for.  The idea that we have to interrupt our work day to go to her office to ask for documents that are supposed to be readily available to the public  is another reason we need to get somebody else in this job. The city clerk should be elected, she is supposed to answer to the public. She runs our elections, she can actually make candidates or pacs do stuff, or not, at her discretion. Right now, because of an ordinance passed in the 2012 election, she is answerable to the council with whom she can  choose to be helpful, or not, during an election. You know, don’t bite the hand that makes the campaign rules – mess with Debbie Presson, and you might find her a harsh taskmaster at re-election time.  I’m pretty sure that’s a conflict of interest, but I’m not a lawyer.

I’m guessing what she is doing right now is perfectly OK with the council majority. Three of them were elected with money from the CCAG, and I’m guessing, CPOA spent most of their money on Sorensen, Coolidge and Fillmer as well. Why they are dragging their feet with their final report is the  question – why can’t the cops obey the law?

At any rate, we will only get as good as we demand.

10 Responses to “Still no CPOA report on city website – is the clerk incompetent, or just won’t do her job?”

1. jiminchico February 21, 2015 at 8:33 am #

Why aren’t these people held accountable to do their jobs? Seriously, WTF?
    We need to stop this attitude.

• Juanita Sumner February 22, 2015 at 5:49 am #

Like Bob says in another post, we live in a corrupt little town, where the unions have bought the local government. And, most of our seven councilors either belong to public sector unions and get pensions or are the dependent of a person who gets a public pension – they would be screwing their own pooch.

We have to hope to awaken the sleeping giant – I believe most people agree with you guys, getting them organized to do something about it is another story.

2. bob February 21, 2015 at 6:59 pm #

“…why can’t the cops obey the law? ”

Because we live in a corrupt little city where the cops union has bought the local government.

• Juanita Sumner February 22, 2015 at 5:41 am #

Yeah, I think the real problem here, is our government.

If I could get a posse up, I would go for a restriction on the amount of money a PAC can load into a local election.

3. jiminchico February 22, 2015 at 10:23 pm #

Money = Free Speech, don’t you know. At least according to the Supreme Court and the Citizens United ruling.

• Juanita Sumner February 23, 2015 at 7:00 am #

I know, they treat you like some kind of commie any time you try to limit campaign contributions. I think that’s what we need though – local ordinance limiting PAC’s to the same amount as individuals.

4. Jim February 23, 2015 at 10:12 am #

I agree, there is too much money in politics. However I don’t think it can be limited or regulated any longer.

• Juanita Sumner February 23, 2015 at 4:42 pm #

Maybe you’re right – again, I come to the conclusion that organizations like ours need to work harder to tell the voters about the real issues, try to do as much as we can physically instead of relying on money.

My son and I are getting ready to design some signs for the tax increase measure I expect to see in 2016, I’ll try to think of something stylish that will look good while carrying a pertinent political message!

• publius February 23, 2015 at 7:25 pm #

For a sign, i suggest writing in big letters:

$159,000

And then in smaller letters

Average pay for chico firefighters according to Chris Constantin. No on the sales tax!

• Juanita Sumner February 24, 2015 at 7:12 am #