29 Jul

A year or so ago I got into an ugly bitch fight with Chico City Clerk Debbie Presson over the posting of the campaign contribution reports on the website. For starters she was letting the cops go months beyond the report deadline with their PAC filing, letting them get off without paying the per-day fine. I quit when I felt she was trying to set me up for some sort of harassment suit. I also got e-mails from Stephanie Taber and Sean Morgan telling me I needed to “back off” of Presson. I started to feel like I might have the makings of a suit myself, but I’m not that kind of person.

Now it looks like Presson has taken everything off the website and requires people to physically present themselves in her office at her convenience to view the physical records. That’s view – if you want copies you will pay per page.

Council member Randall Stone has taken up this issue with a Facebook posting here:

I’m going to go on a little rant here.

Debbie Presson is not fit for public office. She uses her position, in which she is supposed to protect the voters, to protect herself and her coworkers. Instead of working in the voter’s best interests, she furthers the best interests of herself and her friends. She uses her position to cover corruption, and that’s corrupt.

Furthermore, I’ll say, the city charter needs to be changed so that the city clerk is elected like the county clerk is elected. Things might be different if her $135,000 salary, plus health benefits and pension, were on the line every four years.  I notice county clerk Candace Grubbs’ office is a lot more responsive. Grubbs also has plenty of help – Presson cut her staff and took a larger salary, but has the nerve to tell us she’s shorthanded!

I see Stone has got a discussion going on this issue – at last, some sunshine in the sewer that is Downtown  Chico.

7 Responses to “Thanks to councilman Randall Stone for taking city clerk Debbie Presson to task over her refusal to post the campaign reports”

1. Jim July 30, 2015 at 9:27 am #

Stone is the only council member who is really trying.

• Juanita Sumner July 30, 2015 at 3:44 pm #

I sure appreciate his efforts. I’m considering writing a letter to council to ask them to support his request but I don’t think they give a dingle what I think anymore.

2. publius July 31, 2015 at 4:47 am #

Why take the info down at all? If the CPOA contributed to a councilors campaign in 2010 it is still relevant today. The public should be able to easily access the total contributions received. This is 2015; having paper copies is so 1985 – put them all online debbie!

• Juanita Sumner July 31, 2015 at 11:42 am #

I agree – and I think we should put that on a t-shirt – “put them all online Debbie!” That would include up-to-date minutes of meetings.

3. bob August 1, 2015 at 11:23 am #

I’m no fan of Stone. His “progressive” agenda makes me sick.

But he is right on this and he is right on taking on the cops union. I saw in the ER comments some idiot conservatives saying nasty things about him for this. It amazes me that when it comes to cops and government lack of transparency these so called conservatives give the government a pass.

• Juanita Sumner August 1, 2015 at 12:05 pm #

you know I started hating Stone but after a few conversations with him I find he’s an earnest person. At least I believe he believes he is doing the right thing, and he is trying to get the public more involved.

It amazes me how downright nasty these people get, and they say I’m a bitch! Debbie Presson tried to pass herself off as a nice person for years, see here how she tries to act as though Stone is attacking her without merit, out of line. She acts as though the people have no right to know what’s going on down there, which is creepy, because she’s the very officer who is supposed to look out for our interests.

City clerk needs to be an elected position.