I’ve had enough of David Little’s bullying

15 Aug

NOTE: I’ve closed comments on this post because last night I got a mail box full of pictures of obese police officers. Unfortunately, they were all real, but none of them were Chico cops so I didn’t see the point. That wasn’t the subject of the post – David Little edited my opinion because he didn’t like what I thought of his actions. That’s not good editing, I’ve written to too many other papers where the editor had a difference of opinion with me, and said so, but printed my letter verbatim.

But, sorry for the baby temper tantrum – I’ll go on writing letters to the ER, we’ll see if Little will continue to print them, and how.

The Enterprise Record printed a letter with my name on it two days ago, but it wasn’t the original letter I sent them over a week ago. Here’s the letter I sent.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 7:29 AM, juanita sumner wrote:

In October of last year, right before a city election, I asked the city clerk and council why the campaign reports were no longer available online. Reports that had been easily available for years had suddenly vanished,  the current filings had also disappeared.

The clerk responded [read her full response at chicotaxpayers.com ] ,   “There is no regulation requiring the documents to be uploaded to the City’s website unless an agency has implemented mandatory electronic filings (Gov. Code § 84601(d)). ” She acted as though I was harassing her.  The reports were restored to the website briefly, but disappeared again sometime after the November election.

In her response to my inquiry, the clerk said that the city was going to have a new system “up and running by the first of the year”, but here we are again, with the reports in disarray. The old system worked beautifully right up until October of 2014.

I’d like to thank Randall Stone for raising this issue to the public. I’m very concerned that neither the Mayor nor  the Editor think this is any of the public’s business.

This problem lies in the charter – the clerk works for council, not the voters. I’m with Jim Matthews – the charter needs to be changed to make the clerk an elected official so that person is answerable to the voters.

Juanita Sumner, Chico

I was starting to wonder what had happened to it when David Little got back to me the following Monday:

Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 09:01:19 -0700
Subject: Re: letter to editor
From: letters@chicoer.com
To: juanita sumner

Regarding the line “I’m very concerned that neither the mayor nor the editor think this is any of the public’s business,” that will be deleted from your letter for print unless you can show me precisely where that was said. At least in the case of our editorial, you are drastically changing our words.

David Little, editor
Chico Enterprise-Record, Oroville Mercury-Register
400 E. Park Ave., Chico, CA 95927
Telephone: 530-896-7793
Twitter: @ER_DavidLittle

Why is this guy such a creep? Please note, I didn’t use anybody’s words. I didn’t put quotation marks around that line, he did. It was not a quote, it was my opinion. That’s what the opinion page is for.

I’ll say here, the letter Stephanie Taber wrote criticizing Randall Stone has mistakes. For one thing, she refers to Todd Boothe’s public Facebook page as a private e-mail, saying Stone had disclosed a private e-mail. That’s a lot different than what Stone had done – alert the public to a vicious and demented member of the police department who was behaving very inappropriately on a website that could be seen by anybody who searched his name.

But I’ve been through this with Little before – he’s not a journalist, he’s a propagandist. Here he doesn’t like my opinion, so he edits it. Or, in this case, forces me to edit.  I didn’t want his edit, so I had to rewrite my letter.  I apologized to the asshole and sent a rewrite – and later I felt really cheap.

I’ll never write another letter to the Enterprise Record. I’ve had enough of David Little. He’s a bully who uses his position to further his and his friends’ agendas.  I don’t read the Enterprise Record anymore, there are so many better newspapers locally and throughout the state. Channel 7 (KRCR) even carries stories that the ER misses on a regular basis, check out their website here:

One of the worst things about the ER is Topix. Little announced a few years back that because of rude remarks and personal attacks, Topix was being closed to folks who do not have a google, twitter or facebook account. Did the ugly attacks stop? No. They’ve kicked Rick Clements off a couple of times, only to let him back on – I’m going to throw this out there – Larry Wahl is a very good friend of Rick Clements.

People don’t like the way I talk – at least I don’t spread misinformation. Little ran a letter weeks ago from a woman who said I called Chico PD officers “fat.” I asked Little to ask her to “show precisely where that was said“, but he didn’t answer me back.

6 Responses to “I’ve had enough of David Little’s bullying”

1. Jim August 15, 2015 at 11:51 am #

The editorial position of the ER has always been conservative, that is to promote the status quo.

• Juanita Sumner August 16, 2015 at 4:51 am #

You’re right, David Little is just the latest in a long chain of close-minded Enterprise Record managers. In fact, the News and Review is just as bad lately, Melissa D. is just another tin-plated dictator.

Both of them have given me a hard time whenever I’ve written letters to them, both always want to edit when there’s really no reason, and both of them have an ego as big and volatile as a Macy’s parade balloon.

I’ve had a couple of notes from friends, to the effect: quit sniveling and get back to work. I really appreciate you writing letters and I’ll keep it up.

also, thanks Bart Crocket, he’s been kicking ass lately in both papers.

2. PZH August 19, 2015 at 10:36 am #

For what it’s worth, you called the cops “fat” in this post: https://chicotaxpayers.com/2014/07/24/furthermore/

• Juanita Sumner August 19, 2015 at 12:05 pm #

” I’ve seen so many fat, unhealthy cops, I can’t believe there’s any such performance review.”

Yes, and I’ll stand by that, although, next time I’ll say, “clinically obese.”

Thanks for keeping me on my toes, I really didn’t feel like trolling through every post I’ve ever made looking for the word “fat.” I see I also referred to their contracts as “fat.” Next time I’ll say “phat.”

• PZH August 19, 2015 at 12:50 pm #

lol i googled fat chico police sumner and it was in the first several results 🙂

• Juanita Sumner August 19, 2015 at 1:04 pm #

see, that’s how it works. I didn’t use that word insultingly, I used it in it’s proper dictionary definition, and I’m sure it’s true. But now I’m out of the conversation because I “called Chico PD ‘fat’.” Well, I can live with that.