3 Jul

I’m sitting here in disbelief of the attack I just watched Mary Goloff and Jim Walker wage on Mark Sorensen at city council tonight. I couldn’t make the meeting, so I have been watching it via computer.

Sorensen had been challenged by a smarmy Jim Walker to list what changes he would make to balance the budget. Sorensen carefully began to explain that city funds had been depleted by millions over the last few years, with escalating costs leaving revenues in the dirt. He also explained that the lion’s share of our expenses are “operating costs,” meaning, salaries. He also carefully explained that there were programs we simply could not afford anymore, meaning, salaries.

Mary Goloff could be heard heckling him off microphone. If you or I did what she was doing we’d be asked to leave the room, possibly with police escort. But Mayor Schwab just sat there looking at Goloff, saying nothing.  Goloff  finally got on mike, interrupted Sorensen, and asked him to be specific. So, Sorensen offered housing, saying it had been a mistake to undertake so many housing projects, and he also specified the arts programs – such as the requirement that any capital project include one percent of the total cost of that project be added for art.

At this point Goloff began to interrupt Sorensen. She started heckling him about how “we all agree” that the arts are important, yadda, yadda. She just kept at Sorensen, not allowing him to answer any of her out-there questions, until Sorensen asked her to stop interrupting him.

After a quick exchange Walker butted in to attack Sorensen. Out of nowhere, Walker bashed Sorensen about wanting to spend more money on the police department, asking Sorensen where he would get the money to hire more police. This question was off base, Sorensen hadn’t even gotten that far before Goloff had completely derailed him.

Jim  Walker is just sitting out his time, he seems to be enjoying himself at all of our expense. He, like so many “public servants,” seems to think he is elected to do what he wants, what seems like “the right thing” in his fairy tale mind,  instead of carry out the law.

Mary Goloff seems to think she has been anointed Queen in some farcical aquatic ceremony to lead us all in the light of her cough syrup-induced wisdom.  She seems to love the sound of her own voice, while here at my house, it sets off the hounds for blocks.

My computer started failing at this point, and I was unable to watch the rest of the meeting. I am going on vacation tomorrow, I’ll see you folks on the flip flop.

17 Responses to “Mary Goloff and Jim Walker gang jump Mark Sorensen on the dais – just another lovely Chico city council meeting!”

1. Joseph July 3, 2012 at 10:19 pm #

Dang, I knew I shoulda just gone to bed instead of reading something like this that would get me riled up.

Walker and Goloff are real snakes in the grass and that’s an insult to snakes.

All I can say is good riddance. I’m glad they will be gone. But you can be sure they will inflict more damage with the time they have left like the assinine law to outlaw grocery bags.

And with my luck they will be replaced by politicians who are even worse.

• Juanita Sumner July 4, 2012 at 5:47 am #

Goloff has two more years on council – she’s a mess, I wish we had the money to run a recall campaign. Having to listen to her do her Evita bit makes me want to barf.

But yes, Mr. “I can google your back yard on my i-pod!” Walker is out of there come January 2013 – certainly not soon enough for me. Hopefully he’ll get sued for malpractice AGAIN before he can reconsider running – I think this is the main reason he is not running, he got sued by some poor woman for his performance during her surgery, and the resulting legal bills have left him run over by a financial train. This is our only comfort – his house is probably so upside down, he has to have suction cups on his shoes.

I’m not real excited about the pack up for election. Toby is the only one who’s running any kind of campaign. I don’t agree with him completely on the fire department staffing but I can work with him. Morgan is lazy, all he does is complain about stuff, no solutions, and, why should I trust another employee of Chico State? Bob Evans won’t give us a straight answer about his friend Tom Lando’s sales tax, even though he’s been in on the discussion down at Chico Chamber since the beginning. I’m afraid once he’s elected he will support it, he needs to make himself clear on that. Dave Donnan is interesting, he’s showing up at meetings, but he isn’t showing much of himself. All I know about Donnan is, he’s been in the recycling industry, he had a few interesting things to say about the plastic bag ban, but he’s not exactly jumping up and down on the table top saying “NO plastic bag ban”. He seems to be a wind-tester, if you know what I mean.

There’s the list of the only four I’d consider, and only one I’ll probably vote for – Toby. We’ll see what happens.

• Joseph July 5, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

Ugh…2 more years of Goloff? I can’t go for that. Dang, we’ve been flynned again.

• Juanita Sumner July 5, 2012 at 4:35 pm #

Well, I think Ann is the worst – and she’s up this November. We have to run an old-fashioned campaign to get her out of there – think, who do you know that votes in the city of Chico? Start yanking their ear, over coffee, at the playground, wherever you can strike up a casual conversation about the quality of life in Chico and how it’s affected by the cheap politics and rip-off-the-public-to-feather-our-nest philosophy Ann Schwab has brought into our town.

You’ll get your chance. Over the last year, I can’t have a conversation with my friends without the subject of bills and underemployment coming up. I’ve actually got friends who’ve lost their houses, and others who are barely hanging on. I don’t know anybody personally who has the money to send their kids beyond Butte College, and the tuition is going up, up, up. I have older friends who have gone through a lot of trouble to re-educate themselves for the employment pool, only to find out, nobody wants older workers, they want young, dumb people who don’t know their rights.

It’s getting tough out there, tougher all the time, and the public, beyond canaries like you and me, is FINALLY going to rise up and get pissed off. I don’t know when, but you hang in there Joseph, it’s coming.

• Joseph July 5, 2012 at 5:15 pm #

I tell ya, Juanita, I think Hokum is the worst. But he’s so over the top that he’s probably less a threat than Schwab. For instance, he wanted to not only apply the phone tax to more services but to also raise the rate instead of lowering it. I would bet money that would have been voted down by the public. Schwab is more devious and less greedy so she wants to lower the rate and sell it as a tax decrease even though most people will wind up paying more. Anyway, Hokum is leaving. Hopefully the Peace Corp sends him to some place like North Korea where he will be right at home. Imagine Dear Leader with Dear Hokum!

So I think it boils down to the Grundler or Schwab. They are both awful but you’re probably right. Schwab is probably worse.

But everyone of the Gang of 5 is a threat to liberty and to our economic well being.

2. Rick Clements July 5, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

Dear Sirs:

Mary Golaff’s recent City Council attack upon fellow councilmember Mark Sorenson July, 3, 2012 reveals what many thousands of middle class Mom and Pop voters of Chico have suspected, AND ARE ONCE AND FOR ALL TIRED OF.

Chico’s 5 liberal council members have, prompted by their super hero leader’s Bob Muholland and Jane Dolan, shown us all that THEY COULD CARE LESS WHAT THE TAXPAYER THINKS. THEY RUN THIS TOWN, SO QUIT WHINING.

Those of you with a job, you will work harder because we are sending you more proposed tax hikes, all of them cleverly written and with our deceptive language so you won’t understand what your voting for.

Further, we DEMAND that you will pay them all. We further expect you to vote for and pay any and all tax ballot proposals we submit to you in the future because you as our taxpayer slaves, need to understand one thing; We control this City council, and we will lie to the students to get their vote, making your dissent vote useless. We will smear publicly, anyone dissenting against us, and, we will attack any business owner for going against us. Otherwise, have a nice day.

Please middle class and family voters. Let’s take our town back from these vindictive thugs, and return our government to sane people who care about fairness and solutions that help us all equally.

Help us get rid of Ann Schwab and the rest of her Liberal far Left thugs.

Rick Clements

• Joseph July 5, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

Dang, awesome letter, Rick! Who did you send it to? I bet old Bobby Speer will pee his pants when he reads that.

About the only thing I could add to it is that the Gang of 5 members are so arrogant and superior that they believe they have the right to micromanage our lives right down to deciding if a grocer will be allowed to give us a damn bag!

• Juanita Sumner July 6, 2012 at 10:03 am #

You’re a pistol Joseph, keep it coming!

• Juanita Sumner July 6, 2012 at 6:32 am #

thanks Rick, thanks Joseph,

Mary often acts like she’s on something, just tipsy. She gets on one of her rambles, gets all poetic and dreamy, gets kinda slurry and sloppy. The other night I was afraid we’d be exposed to one of her teats – like, button your shirt Mary, half your bra is hanging out! Was she trying to be “saucy” with her shirt unbuttoned halfway to her navel? I’m not saying she’s a drunk, I’m just saying she acts like one. She disappeared for “health reasons” for a few weeks – and we paid for it! All the councilors get a salary and a health insurance policy – were you unaware that thousands of uninsured are paying for Mary’s “health treatments”?

Holcombe, unless he was buying that 12 pack of Old Milwaukee to donate to the Torres Shelter, also acts like a drunk. And when we see him regularly at Safeway, we see, he’s just another old dysfunctional bachelor loser – your worst nightmare for a brother-in-law! A giant 12 pack, some junk food – wow, we need to legislate our health habits, this guy is on publicly-paid heathcare! When that 12 pack of Old Milwaukee eats through his liver, we the people are stuck footing the bill for his treatment. He also told a friend of mine he eats regularly at EGG ROLL KING! He’s got to be a walking laboratory of botulism. When he gets onto one of his righteous rambles, I hear Wally, the old guy who used to hold down a barstool at my dad’s favorite watering hole. Don’t fall off that dais Andy, your minions will eat you! He’s not running again because nobody will give him any money, he’s played himself out, and nobody, even the liberals, can stand him anymore.

And then there’s Ann – I live by the park, my husband and I like to ride, and we often see little Miss Ban-it, chugging her tubby bottom around the trails. Like, haven’t you lost any weight YET Ann? You look like hell – with her face all red and contorted, she always reminds me of a mad sheep. We pay for her health insurance too – over $18,000 a year.

Luckily, Holcombe and Walker are OUTTA THERE, mostly because they don’t have the money or support to run again. But we’re stuck with Mary for two and a half more years, and if we don’t mount some kind of opposition against Ann, the know-nothings will elect her again.

Oh god, you know we’ll end up paying for more “health treatments” for Mary!

• Sue July 6, 2012 at 9:06 am #

I missed the July 3rd City Council meeting because I was out of town, but I heard all about it. So, now I want to go back and watch the video on my computer, and when I click on video, all I get is gobbly-gook code, no video. I don’t think there is anything wrong with my computer. Juanita, are you able to view it from the website?

• Juanita Sumner July 6, 2012 at 10:01 am #

I’m going to e-mail Debbie Presson down at the clerk’s office and ask her. Take your Dramamine – cause you’re about to get some SPIN!

According to one $taffer, morale is so bad at the city of Chico, $taffers are starting to refuse to do their jobs. According to my source, $taff is afraid to give information to the public, fearing “reprisals” from council. Hmmm, sounds like a bullshit excuse to me – what I’m hearing is, $taff is refusing to do their jobs, and ought to get the boot. I’m wondering, is the breakdown of the video feed just another indication that our city is about to take a shit? I’ll let you know what I get out of Ms. DePression.

• Joseph July 6, 2012 at 11:52 am #

Very interesting…when you try to view it you see “Osprey-240e #1 Composite PCIe-1.0 s/n=10406045”

Osprey, eh? A large raptor…a bird of prey…just what our politicians are in the eyes of the hapless taxpayers.

Very interesting, indeed.

• Juanita Sumner July 6, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

I wrote a note to the clerk’s office at about 11 this morning, asking what’s up with the video feed. I was nice – swear to GAAAWD! – no response, not even an “I’m out of the office now…” automatic notice.

Think she’s pissed at me?

It sometimes occurs to me, these people are reading the blog. Oh well, like Ricky Nelson used to say, you can’t please everybody, so stay away from garden parties. Or something like that.

• Joseph July 6, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

They read this blog?

Well, good. Maybe they will know not everyone thinks they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I wonder if Hokum or the Grundler read this blog.

• Juanita Sumner July 7, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

Well, whoever reads it, they’re reading the heck out of it. This post, in case anybody cares, is getting three times the amount of views the average post gets.

• Juanita Sumner July 8, 2012 at 5:40 am #

the feed is still out, as of now, Sunday morning, 6:34 am. I got a note back from Debbie late Friday:

“Hi Juanita.

Yes, there is a glitch that we are working on with the software company that handles the streaming video. I don’t know if I caused it by the way I uploaded the agenda…regardless, I promise that it is being worked on will be up within the next couple of days.

I apologize for the delay. If it is something that you need right away, we do have the DVD’s as backup and if you email me back, I would be happy to come down and get it for you. I didn’t realize there was a problem with the video until yesterday.

Just let me know and I can meet you here in the morning.

Have a great weekend.

Debbie”

Well, that’s nice, isn’t it? But why would I want to go Downtown to pick up the DVD, when I’m supposed to be able to get the feed right here on my computer? As of Saturday afternoon, Granicus, the video feed company, was still working on the video feed, according to Presson. As of now, they ain’t fixed it.

Excuse me for being a paranoid weirdo, but I believe this is just he beginning of the breakdown.