14 Nov

While there are still votes uncounted in Butte County, everybody seems to be assuming that Measure J has failed.  I’m still not sure, I’ll be glad to hear  Candy Grubbs declare it good and dead so I can start worrying about other stuff.

But a story from Channel 7 news quoted our new city manager Brian Nakamura already making threats to cut public safety.   “Chico City Manager Brian Nakamura says the money would have paid for up to eight police officers or two-thirds of operating one fire station…Nakamura says there could be cuts for fire and police.”

Whoa now! Here’s the guy who Mark Sorensen told me was going to get $taff expenditures  in control! This guy was hired because he supposedly has a reputation as a salary cutter! That according to Sorensen, who voted to hire him at a salary some $50,000 higher than not only his predecessor, but his replacement in Hemet as well. In fact, a few weeks ago, the city finance director had to ask the city council to approve a budget addendum to accommodate Nakamura’s $217,000/year salary. And, as of now, Nakamura pays only a fraction of his “share” of health benefits premiums and NOTHING  toward his pension, which will be 70 percent of his salary, available to him in roughly three years.

The Ch 7 story mentions, “The city says it (Measure J)  would have brought in $930,000. “ I don’t know where they got that figure, but I think it’s a conservative estimate. They already get over a million dollars, mainly from landlines.  According to my research (I GOOGLED it!), over 50 percent of America is still clinging to their land lines.

When you add life’s necessities – PG&E and water – the city gets over $4 million a year off this tax. $4 million might sound like a lot to the rest of us, who live on less than $50,000 a year, but to these people, it’s spit on a griddle. They go through almost $50 mil a year, over 90 percent of it eaten by their salaries, perks and benies.

Chico PD eats over half our budget, and with the fire department, some 87 percent.  After that 9 hour overtime fest at the empty apartment, I think some questions are in order.

But Nakamura isn’t asking any pointy questions about our budget – he won’t rock the boat. He steps right into Burkland’s shoes and starts threatening the taxpayers with cuts in services.

7 Responses to “Vindictive new city manager Brian Nakamura already threatening cuts in public safety service because we threw out Measure J – who hired this guy?”

1. Rick Clements November 14, 2012 at 9:56 am #

Let them go ahead and make those cuts to the PD and especially the Firefighters Union that voted the new bunch of Liberal monkeys in with their Firefighters endorsement of that dork Ann. The Firefighters Union and Dave Donnan cost us the majority this last election. They endorsed these stupid idiots, now let them eat their own crap! I told everyone these people would say anything, do anything, just to win election and now the Libs and Mulholland all made SUCKERS out the citizens of Chico!!!! Thanks too to the ER for their stupid endorsement of Donnan!

• Juanita Sumner November 14, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

Thanks Rick, glad to hear from you.

• Joseph November 16, 2012 at 6:38 pm #

And I understand that Donnan plans to run again next time.

He knew going in he had little chance of winning and would split the vote, possibly giving the majority to the Schwabistas which is exactly what happened.

But he went ahead and ran anyway. And he says he’d do it again.

If this guy ever gets elected he will be the typical screw you selfish politician.

• Joseph November 16, 2012 at 6:44 pm #

Just think how different things could have been if Donnan would have NOT run and instead put his support to the other candidates.

Instead it’s going to be another 2 long years of the Schwabistas calling the shots and an unimaginable 4 years of more Schwabola.

And now with DemonNcrats calling ALL the shots in Sucramento with their two-thirds majority they’re going to pass all sorts of laws that will make it much easier for local gummits to put into place ridiculous regulations and increase fees and taxes which the Scwabistas will eat up.

• Juanita Sumner November 17, 2012 at 7:19 am #

Oooo, “Sucramento”! THAT’S going to STICK! Thanks Joseph, you really add to the political lexicon.

I hate to dis Donnan, he’s been nice to me personally, I’m such a sucker. I did agree with some of his statements, and he was really helpful during the plastic bag ban conversation (he’s in the recycling business). But, I didn’t vote for him because he seems to be what I would call a “wind tester.” He is too good at watching and listening and then imitating to fit in, to get people to vote for him and then stay in his seat. He seems to be the type of person who thinks bureaucrats know what’s best for the people. I would expect him to roll over to the majority, never take any kind of stand, just posture to stay on the dais.

I wish he would stop running, but I’ll say the same thing about Dave Kelley, and I wish Evans would have stepped aside, he ran such a lack luster campaign, it was as if he wasn’t running. I think this is the worst election I can remember.

Statewide, I think the Demoncrats will pass their version of Obamacare soon, I’m not sure what my family is going to do about that. Right now we’re looking for a good homeopath/naturopath, our old guy retired. Give me the headsup anybody who knows a good one.

• Joseph November 17, 2012 at 10:39 am #

With the 2/3rds majority the DemoNcrats in the legilsature are going to be like kids in a candy shop.

They can do anything they want and even override a Moonbeam veto.

Major tax increases and even more nutty regulation is coming. Heck, just wait until AB 32 kicks in with full force.

This state will be an even more expensive place to live than it is now. And more jobs and companies will leave. Anyone who can’t see this is brainwashed or very ignorant.

• Juanita Sumner November 18, 2012 at 7:25 am #

Waiter, we need more eggnog at this table!

I think by “brainwashed” you must mean, either on a public salary or the dependent or close friend/relative of a public salaried individual.

I remember when Scott Gruendl and Dan Nguyen-Who? told me they wanted to “get some decent salaries in here.” I thought they meant, bring good private industry jobs, but they meant, expand the public work force and raise public salaries. Ahh, hindsight.