State of Jefferson Committee meets today, Chico library, 3:30 pm

16 Mar
Approaching Mt. Shasta from the North, I felt relieved - there's no place like home, The State of Jefferson.

Returning from Oregon on a recent road trip, here we are in the heart of what some hopefuls call The State of Jefferson.  Every time I see Mt. Shasta it’s like I’ve never seen it before.

Sorry for the last minute notice, but I will try to keep up on these meetings in future. I think they are held third Sunday of every month, same time – 3:30.  I will probably not be able to attend today, but I’ve been getting plenty of inquiries about the SOJ movement, here’s your opportunity to find out more.

Looking for Sasquatch - we wanted to get his opinion on this state separation business, but he wasn't available for an interview.

Hot on the trail of Sasquatch – we wanted to get his opinion on this state separation business, but he wasn’t available for an interview.

There is a lot of confusion. One thing I found out recently – it’s not a secession – that means, you want out of the USA.  We are talking here about State Separation, a split between North and South.

The first dumb comment I have, and this is pretty central to the conversation for me – why Jefferson? Have you read “John Adams” by David McCullough? Wow, he paints Jefferson, through the personal diaries and letters of John Adams and his wife Abigail, as a complete idiot savant. Look at the details of his life – constant money problems due to a major spending habit – he didn’t know how to stop!

And I’m not even going to touch his marital life. Not with a 10 foot pole – that whole sitch was really freaking weird.

So, there’s my first criticism – needs a new name. How about, something that has a rat’s ass to do with California, maybe? Thomas Jefferson never even made it past the Mississippi.

How about, Northern California? I know, lacks imagination, like most solid plans. If you want imaginative, I’d say, choose from the myriad of names we have from the old people – the Yana and the Modoc often  being described as the biggest badasses.  I guess it might be nice to have some sort of badass name, show those Surenos  a thing or two. Nya nya!

I’d suggest “Sasquatch,” but that word comes from British Columbia. I don’t know what the local people called the creature we know as Bigfoot. The state of Bigfoot? Naaaaaah!

This is definitely something we should mull over. Along with all the really important details, like how to pay the bills, state song, state color, state bird, etc. I hope to get to a meeting, will keep you posted.

7 Responses to “State of Jefferson Committee meets today, Chico library, 3:30 pm”

1. Casey March 16, 2014 at 5:22 pm #

When the State splits, there will be a convention to decide what State bird, all that. But the colors are significant, gold on green. Gold is for the precious metal, green, I forget (but I have an awesome idea!)
    Jefferson was a brilliant philosopher with some personal shortcomings. “Nor Cal” would be catchier and more popular, but “Jefferson” already has historic value, and we promoters are actively using it.
    So in a nut shell, we separate for adequate representation, because all we get up here is metropolitan regulation. There is only 1 rep for the Northern 10 counties, while LA itself has 12 reps. The State MUST divide. We’re run by LA and Frisco. California is number 1 in almost everything that sucks, and that totally reflects metro politicians, and most of these policies hurt business and usurps personal liberties. That’s what’s up, yo.

• Juanita Sumner March 17, 2014 at 5:27 am #

I’m sorry – philosophy? Sure, the guy was an A-1 bullshitter. But he didn’t believe in abolition for slaves or suffrage for women. And he was nuts with money, not just his own, but while he talked about paying down the federal debt he was spending federal money we didn’t have. Deal breakers. There have been too many great statesmen from California, I’m not settling for Jefferson. That name implies too many things that make me uncomfortable.

I’m okay with gold and green though – St Paddy’s colors! And, I think our state bird should be our middle fingers, which we should turn toward LA every morning in a 2 million gun salute.

• Casey March 17, 2014 at 6:53 am #

Ha! State bird! Actually, the 2 “X”s on the flag is kinda like a middle finger, it means “double crossed”.
        Well, Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence, which is the biggest middle finger in human history. It was probably because of this work that they honored the namesake Jefferson, not his fails.

• Juanita Sumner March 17, 2014 at 7:31 am #

Seriously – they need to stop using “State of Jefferson,” and start saying “separate the state.” That needs to be the central conversation – the nuts and bolts of separation. We can talk philosophy at our statehood convention, and I’m hoping to hear from other groups besides SOJ, frankly.

I haven’t seen the flag, I’ll have to check it out! I’m looking for a new Don’t Tread on Me flag since my old one rotted off the pole last summer.

• Casey March 17, 2014 at 7:48 am #

Some of the Tshirt designs have the coiled snake with the double X, some don’t.
        Cool thing is, nothing is set in stone, there are no officials or directors. My Tshirt is silver on dark grey. It’s even been suggested that “State of Jefferson” just be the motto, and we go with boring ol’ Northern California just to make it happen. It’s all in grass roots development, and if you don’t throw in your 2 cents, you can’t really expect 2 cents out of it. I have 1 cent on each hand and I throw them strait up:-)

• Juanita Sumner March 17, 2014 at 8:00 am #

thanks, we must be sure to keep this topic floating, not let it get swept under the rug as just another fringe movement.

• Casey March 17, 2014 at 8:39 am #

I was up all night wondering what happened to the sun. Then it finally dawned on me…