Don’t blame the ballots – the candidates have screwed up this election

3 Mar

I am really disappointed with reports that voters are lagging in turning in their ballots. Clerk Candace Grubbs reported the other day that only about 30,000 of over 100,000 ballots distributed in Butte County had been returned. Today I read in Cal Matters that less than a quarter of ballots distributed statewide have been returned.

Less than a quarter of California mail ballots came back before Election Day — among them, the “zombies”

But some voters may have been wise to hold on to their ballots and see how the Democratic primaries went. As of yesterday, two more major candidates, Buttigieg and Klobuchar, have dropped out.  Steyer already hit the door days earlier. Analysts believe that votes already made for these people on early ballots may actually screw up the California primaries – “zombie” candidates suck up votes and prevent other candidates from reaching the necessary thresholds to secure delegates.

I couldn’t care less about the Democrats – I already made a bold move and voted for Trump. No, I am not crazy about Trump, he’s an ass. If I could speak to him personally I’d tell him to  grow the fuck up. But, let’s face it, he’s done okay at the President job so far. I like seeing tariffs on foreign trade, I like to see the healthcare mandate dropped, and I like the fact that the economy – right up until the Democrats drummed up a total hysteria over coronavirus – had been doing well. In fact, after a drop last week, the market seems to be recovering pretty fast. Think it’s those GM masks flying off the shelves?

No, I’m not belittling coronavirus, but, according to the CDC, over 80,000 people died of the flu in 2018, and that hardly made a blip on the media radar. Wash your hands.

I know this late election will be a mess for Grubbs and her staff (shake that money-maker Candy!). And, we won’t get the usual instant gratification of knowing on Election Night who/what won/lost. But, what remains to be seen is whether or not mailed ballots will bring up the total number of votes cast.

Of course, some will say it messed up the primaries. I don’t know about that. I think those people wanted to vote for Steyer, Buttigieg and Klobuchar, and in past, plenty of people have voted knowingly for candidates who have dropped out. In Nevada a dead guy won an assembly seat, people are that stubborn.

Also, I think it’s weird that Buttigieg and Klobuchar decided to drop out at this time. I want to know why they dropped out. At this point, I’d say they’d made a commitment to the voters, and owe us all a big explanation. And I should think the Democrats would want an explanation too – by dropping out at this point, they’ve undermined both Biden and Sanders, who may not be able to make the threshold to get any delegates.

So, The Donald seems to be the big winner here.

Regardless of problems with this election, I hope we should try at least two more mailed ballot elections before we decide that this mess was the ballots’ fault.

16 Responses to “Don’t blame the ballots – the candidates have screwed up this election”

1. Jim March 3, 2020 at 7:07 am #

I could understand why you don’t like any of the democrats running for president. However if you think Trump has done an ok job, you are clearly not paying attention.

• Juanita Sumner March 4, 2020 at 5:36 am #

Yes, I have paid attention, and I like most of what he’s done so far. No president has ever been perfect. Obama was awful. Hillary Clinton would have been a state disaster. And neither Sanders nor Biden would be any better than Trump. So here we are!

• Jim March 4, 2020 at 6:31 am #

Trump is running a billion dollar a year deficit. If the economy were really doing well, we would have a surplus.

• Juanita Sumner March 4, 2020 at 6:38 am #

I can’t remember when we had a surplus. I do remember almost every year under Obama we faced the fight between Obama and Congress over raising our debt ceiling – I found this article –

“The debt ceiling is a limit that Congress imposes on how much debt the federal government can carry at any given time. When the ceiling is reached, the U.S. Treasury Department cannot issue any more Treasury bills, bonds, or notes. It can only pay bills as it receives tax revenues. If the revenue isn’t enough, the Treasury Secretary must choose between paying federal employee salaries, Social Security benefits, or the interest on the national debt.

The nation’s debt limit is similar to the limit your credit card company places on your spending. But there’s one significant difference. Congress is in charge of both its spending and the debt limit. It already knows how much it will add to the debt when it approves each year’s budget deficit. When it refuses to increase the debt limit, it’s saying it wants to spend but not pay its bills. That’s like your credit card company allowing you to spend above its limit and then refusing to pay the stores for your purchases.”

Government is ludicrous.

• Jim March 4, 2020 at 7:14 am #

You are confusing the deficit (budget shortfall) with the national debt (long term borrowing). The last time we ran a surplus was when Clinton was President.

Obama was recovering from a recession, Trump isn’t.

I was not a fan of Hillary, however she would have maintained our strong alliance with our close allies, especially NATO. She would have supported funding for the CDC to deal with things like the corona virus. She wouldn’t be cutting Social Security like Trump is doing.

The tariffs that you like are a tax on US consumers. Which only hurts us.

The stock market is doing well because the Fed is pumping Billions into the repo market and the they are cutting the interest rates.

I got a lot more if you want….

• Juanita Sumner March 4, 2020 at 7:21 am #

Nah, I already sent my ballot. And, sorry, I’m not up on economics.

• Jeph March 8, 2020 at 7:30 am #

Why would you like tariffs when it’s literally a new tax for no reason?

• Juanita Sumner March 8, 2020 at 8:01 am #

I don’t see it as a tax, I see it as fair play. China, for example, has horrible labor laws, and I’ve heard that from two people I know who have actually visited China. Both had state approval, so were toured around, and reported stuff like locked doors, smoking allowed in the work area, people working ridiculous long hours without overtime, etc. And their Chinese hosts were completely unapologetic. Their labor practices give them an unfair advantage – they can produce knock-offs of American goods at very little cost. That way they can undercut American producers. Screw that.

If you want to buy goods that are produced under questionable circumstances in a country where you are not able to monitor the labor or environmental practices, you can just pay more money Jeph. Here we are in California, being held under all kinds of restrictions – the Chinese and other countries are polluting like crazy, and we’re buying their crap? Please explain.

As for farmers, they need to explain to me, why is Lundberg rice, produced within 50 miles of my home, way more expensive than the Indonesian rice that is shipped halfway around the world? Why does Lundberg ship most of it’s product to countries like Japan?

2. Dave March 3, 2020 at 7:47 am #

The tax increases NEVER end and a sales tax increase is up next for Chico.

• Juanita Sumner March 4, 2020 at 5:39 am #

Well, thanks for all your hard work Dave.

• Dave March 4, 2020 at 5:48 am #

I hope no one gets complacent. Measure L(ando) got defeated but the sales tax is an even worse tax and is easier for them to pass as it will require a lower percentage of votes.

And you can bet the special interests are seeing red now. Your wallet has an even bigger bull’s-eye painted on it!

You can also bet they will spend much more to try to get the sales tax passed. There is much more at stake as there are far more city bureaucrats and other city employees with fat pensions and other crazy benefits and they will do everything they can to keep the gravy train rolling.

• Juanita Sumner March 4, 2020 at 6:39 am #

Ever vigilant, watching the skies, etc. The taxpayers will rise again.

• Dave March 4, 2020 at 7:28 am #

Here is my write up on the defeat of Measure L(ando)

Measure L(ando) Goes Down to Defeat

• Juanita Sumner March 4, 2020 at 4:09 pm #

Thanks for keeping the conversation going on the sales tax measure!

• Jeph March 8, 2020 at 7:28 am #

A sales tax recently just ended in Chico a few years ago lol

• Juanita Sumner March 8, 2020 at 7:51 am #

Really? Fill us in on that, I’m not sure what you’re talking about.