Sometimes the “cure” is worse than the disease

30 Jun

I made a trip to the Portland area this weekend. Yes, Oregon is very different. The geography is different, the people are different, and the politics are different. At times, as I clutched my little dog, I found myself murmuring, “there’s no place like home.” And meaning it!

Like California, Oregon has a mask mandate. But they are way too happy about it, as far as I’m concerned. Along the street outside the hotel, two mask stores. Yes, mask stores. They were tiny storefronts, in old, shabby buildings, surrounded by sketchy bars, and BBQ joints, “Be safe, MASKS!” painted across window fronts. Elsewhere, on street corners, E-Z Up’s with signs, one set up next to a taco truck, another in a gas station, “MASKS!”

I don’t like to complain to my husband, he tries to keep a positive outlook. But he’s the first one to say so when something seems really wrong. “These people are way too obedient...” he observed as we approached the food truck court one evening. Yes, all around us, young couples, singles, retirees, whole families – masked up like an outlaw gang waiting for a stage coach to happen by.

To tell the truth, I have an old flour sack, and I’ve thought many times of punching eye holes in that thing and wearing it, Black Bart being one of my heroes, but I’ve thought better of it. I don’t like to offend people, and I heard the first masks the KKK wore were flour sacks. So, I’ll keep that one to myself.

Instead I carried a set of brightly colored hankies to wrap my face – face diapers – because I feel like I’m a guest, and if my host wants me to wear a mask, oh well, I’ll do it to be polite. Cause you know what – Oregon has no sales tax. I’m glad to oblige in a city full of outlet malls and huge Walmarts, etc, to shop tax-free, so I wrapped up my mug and threw down my money like a sailor on a Saturday night binge.

But the masks bug me – for one thing, I do feel difficulty breathing through them, especially the N-95’s, which also get really hot. But the real thing I don’t like about masks, is that it is tough to feel like a member of a community when everybody is hiding their face. Their eyes are  dead, and they’re just staring right through you like you aren’t there. That is creepy. The cloth masks do look like diapers, it’s distracting to a real conversation, especially when people can’t speak clearly.

And here I’ll say, I’ve read study after study, and they all agree – masks are not that effective, especially the silly homemade cloth masks. The Chinese “K-95” masks Newsom spent a billion dollars on are criticized because the straps don’t hold the mask tightly enough to keep things in or out. The cloth masks, like my bandanas, only make you about 4% safer than no mask? And then everywhere, I see people wearing their masks incorrectly – nose hanging out being the most common mistake – and I see filthy masks, and I see people constantly touching their masks. Don’t expect me to take the mask thing too seriously.

So, here in Chico, I carry them, but I’ll only wear them in the grocery store, just to be polite to others. As far as retail is concerned, if you have a sign requiring masks on your door, you just said GOOD BYE JUANITA, WE DON’T NEED YOUR MONEY!

Sometimes the “cure” is worse than the disease.

19 Responses to “Sometimes the “cure” is worse than the disease”

1. Vic Makau June 30, 2020 at 4:19 pm #

Juanita I’m surprised that you don’t appear to feel that masks can slow down the spread of Covid or that you don’t care. Yes, wearing an N95 mask is tough however if you just wear a basic one you will help all of us. That you don’t see that wearing one is patriotic, as in we’re all in this together, really surprises and saddens me.

• Juanita Sumner July 1, 2020 at 6:01 am #

Like I said Vic, I wear the mask when I go into a store that requires them, I just don’t go into too many stores these days. Read the post better before you comment, okay?

• bozo July 1, 2020 at 5:38 pm #

You clearly stated that if a store requires a mask, you’ll boycott. You should read your own post before snipping at others.

• Juanita Sumner July 1, 2020 at 6:22 pm #

No, I said I would not bother people who say they don’t want me on their store. Think about what you’re saying – a “boycott” is an organized attempt to shut down a particular business. I have made no such threat.

These responses don’t say much for our education system.

2. Steven Clipperton June 30, 2020 at 5:30 pm #

Goodbye Juanita, you are a shallow cry baby. Stay home and keep your money.

• Juanita Sumner July 1, 2020 at 6:03 am #

Hey Steve, don’t let the screen door hit your ass on the way out.

• JJ July 1, 2020 at 9:40 pm #

I have always tried my best to support local over internet businesses. When I go to a store and am told I’m required to wear a mask to shop there, they just told me that my business is not important to them. It’s unfortunate so many people do not understand what is and is not required in the public health orders.

3. Glen July 1, 2020 at 9:01 am #

I agree with Steven, I will not miss Juanita at all, having a person not respect others by not wearing a mask is totally unacceptable. If she feels that she does not have to wear a mask than that is her right, but she is not respecting others by doing this.

• Juanita Sumner July 1, 2020 at 6:18 pm #

Glen, read it again, I said I’d wear a mask or just not go in.

Is it our education system? I’m so glad I home schooled my kids.

4. dirtfilthy July 1, 2020 at 3:43 pm #

Do you think people are too obedient when they obey “no shirt, no shoes, no service” signs? How is wearing a mask any different? I’m sure you will feel super great for “being an independent thinker” when you or your loved ones get Covid. i don’t know what biased studies you are reading but masks help stop the spread of particulate to OTHERS! you help prevent others from getting sick. If you really care about your community like you say you will wear a mask. I’m getting really tired of the media acting like it’s “young people” who don’t care because instead I’m just hearing this old head argument over and over again.

• Juanita Sumner July 1, 2020 at 6:19 pm #

You need to read the post again.

• JJ July 1, 2020 at 9:53 pm #

I am so tired of people using the “you’ll be sorry when your loved ones get sick” approach to bullying people into wearing masks. Do some research on the efficacy of cloth masks and airborne viruses.

• Juanita Sumner July 2, 2020 at 5:57 am #

thanks JJ. I feel the public health orders have been too subjective, contrary at times, and based on assumptions. I believe it’s important to wash our hands, stay out of strangers’ personal space and respect others – COVID or no COVID, those are just rules to live by. But the mask order is overstepping as far as I’m concerned. I’m not going to bully people who wear masks, and they better stand back if they are planning to give me any shit for choosing not to wear a mask.

The whole thing is starting to resemble art. “If you get eaten, it’s your own fault!”

5. The Dude July 1, 2020 at 7:39 pm #

Mask Hysteria!!!

6. bob July 2, 2020 at 6:41 am #

Instead of opinion…anyone care to offer facts?

Conclusion Regarding That Masks Do Not Work
    No RCT study with verified outcome shows a benefit for HCW or community members in households to wearing a mask or respirator. There is no such study. There are no exceptions.

Likewise, no study exists that shows a benefit from a broad policy to wear masks in public (more on this below).

Furthermore, if there were any benefit to wearing a mask, because of the blocking power against droplets and aerosol particles, then there should be more benefit from wearing a respirator (N95) compared to a surgical mask, yet several large meta-analyses, and all the RCT, prove that there is no such relative benefit.

Masks and respirators do not work.

• Juanita Sumner July 3, 2020 at 5:21 am #

thanks Bob, I’ve read study after study that come to the same conclusion – N95’s are the only ones that really do protect us, cloth masks are not nearly as effective. It’s not scientific, it’s political.

Like I said before, when I want to enter a store I’ll wear a mask to be polite, and out of solidarity with the workers. But I’m doing most of my non-food shopping online, and very little of that.

7. The new normal July 3, 2020 at 6:15 pm #

Preventative measures help even if they are not comfortable. Most people wear condoms even though they are not a guarantee either.

• Juanita Sumner July 4, 2020 at 6:07 am #

I use preventative measures – hand washing, and social distancing. I like both, I hope they are the new normal. I always tell my tenants one of the best ways to get their deposit back is wash their hands regularly.

But masks are not effective – in fact, they actually get disgusting, okay, I hope you are washing or changing your regularly. And don’t touch it with your hands, don’t pull it down to talk to people, etc. Go ahead and wear them, I’m not stopping you, but stay out of my body space, okay?

That’s a dumb statement – “most people wear condoms…” How would you know that? Do you go around asking people, or are you the type that believes whatever they read online or hear in a bar?