Apocalyptic – out and about in the COVID shutdown

22 Aug

I saw some questionable things today as my husband and I went out and about running our errands around town.

As we pulled over at the CalTRANS Park and Ride at Hwy 32 and 99 to check our trash load, we noticed the abandoned RV was still sitting there.  A very dirty, mostly naked old man had laid his blanket in a parking space, and arranged his strange collection of belongings, including the child’s stroller he drove up in, like a little barrier around himself. He lay on the ground eating out of a crumpled bag.  As we drove in he popped his head up. A beat up BMX bike hung from a No Parking sign.

Sorry if I seem sensitive, but compared to the Chico I grew up with, this is Apocalyptic. This is scene you used to see in bigger cities along Hwy 99, and for years now people have said that Chico would “just turn into another town along Hwy 99,” but I never believed it.

Sitting at a gas station as my husband filled our tank and a gallon jug for the lawnmower, I watched people mask up to go into stores, and then rip their masks off as they walked into cancer causing toxins that you could see floating by your face. If that doesn’t say it’s about compliance and not about health, I don’t know what.

I drove by my friend’s shuttered clothing business, wondering how she’s going to keep making the rent. I saw her on the news recently, begging people to wear masks so Butte County could get off the watch list and open up again.  And then we drove by a house where a woman had set up shop in her driveway. E-Z Ups with racks and racks of new dresses.  The owner, a fan of bills in her hands, stood within a couple feet of a customer,  yakking away, no masks. I am so conflicted there, I’m hardly going to report people for not wearing masks, or trying to pay their bills, but I can’t believe how unfair this is for my  friend.

There are so many inconsistencies, so many obvious flaws of logic in this COVID thing. “Thing” – I don’t even know what to call it, because I know people out there get offended when I say “scam” or “con”.  I know a lot of people really believe the masks are important, I’m trying not to insult people. But to tell the truth, this is all very insulting to me.

So I did my grocery shopping mask-free today – thanks to Lou Binninger, for discussing “Mask Nazi’s” recently on his podcast at https://www.nohostagesradio.com/   I finally decided I am done wearing the mask to the grocery store. That’s the only Chico business I patronize these days, cause I’m sorry, I have to eat. I wash my hands, copiously. I pack my tiny spray bottle of hand sanitizer in my pocket, and turn on my 6 ft radar defense system. I move quickly, making sure to avoid occupied aisles. I know what I’m going to buy, and I move in and out. I look with my eyes instead of my hands.  My husband does same, moving silently and quickly through the store, staying the hell away  from everybody.

I’ll admit – I usually mask up at check out because I just want to be polite – those checkers have to wear those damned masks all day. And I believe in science – if anybody’s at risk here, it’s people who work 8 hours a day with the public.

Here’s a positive note about COVID – my husband and I have learned to pack a cart with a week’s worth of groceries and be out the door in 15 minutes, average.  But there’s no more socializing, no more gossiping at the check-out, no more sharing of recipes. Just another town along Hwy 99?

17 Responses to “Apocalyptic – out and about in the COVID shutdown”

1. Lisa August 22, 2020 at 9:47 pm #

You’re a piece of shit for putting others at risk because you’d rather not wear a mask.

• Juanita Sumner August 24, 2020 at 5:43 am #

Well, as if on cue – a Mask Nazi! See what nasty little bullies they are.

• bob August 24, 2020 at 9:15 am #

Could you provide one scientific study that proves masks are effective for preventing the spread of COVID? I bet you can’t.

• Christopher September 1, 2020 at 5:59 am #

Let me know if you have any questions I know there are some big words in there for you.

• Juanita Sumner September 1, 2020 at 6:37 am #

Thanks Christopher – but I have already posted that study.

Mr. Christopher Bunt, “mental health counselor” ?

Or are you posing as Christopher Bunt, mental health counselor, going around bullying and trash talking people on their websites?

You should probably use a fake email if you’re going to pull that kind of crap, Christopher Bunt.

I don’t usually expose people, even when they make rude comments, but you’re supposed to be a mental health professional. Your comment about big words was completely inappropriate bullying. I can’t believe you have any sort of license, and I’m wondering to whom I should report something like this.

Also, you’re a mental health “counselor”, not a doctor, so save me your OPINION on masks, and stay the hell out of my body space.

2. brian August 23, 2020 at 5:24 am #

Im sorry you feel that way . on the other hand this is Chico and yes it will become defunk if peoples attitude remain as yours. My kids still have a life to live I agree with you about the mask. i f we the people dont stand and make a point we will become just another town on hwy 99. Vote these bafoons out of office in Chico and watch us thrive.

• Juanita Sumner August 24, 2020 at 5:45 am #

Brian, I’m not sure what you are sorry about. I’m saying, Chico has become a very unpleasant town because people just seem to be willing to watch it happen. For 8 years now I’ve been here asking people to pay more attention. Where have you been?

I hope you teach your kids to read and think critically and not be lazy “bafoons”.

• bob August 24, 2020 at 9:35 am #

“Vote these bafoons out of office in Chico and watch us thrive.”

So who are we supposed to vote for, Brian?

Can you name one candidate who will solve the city’s unfunded liability problem, chiefly pensions and other post employment benefits which are out of control? That is by far the biggest problem the city faces. And it is the chief contributor to all the other problems the city faces.

Heck, can you name one candidate that acknowledges the problem even exists? Can you name one who is even talking about it?

None of them will say a word about it. Why? Because ALL of them are beholden to special interests.

Then when they get elected they will do all they can to raise our taxes and use the tax increases to float a bond getting us hundreds of millions more in debt. And that will make the problem even worse.

None of the candidates have any intention of ever solving the unfunded liability problem. They will raise our taxes and get us deeper in debt so they can keep the gravy train rolling for the special interests as long as possible.

So tell me Brian, who are we supposed to vote for?

3. Vic Makau August 24, 2020 at 5:14 am #

You state it only takes you 15 minutes to do your grocery shopping and at the check out counter you wear your mask while walking around inside the store (I’m guessing for 12 minutes) you refuse to wear a mask. I hope you’ll reconsider and wear it for those 12 minutes.

• Juanita Sumner August 24, 2020 at 5:46 am #

No Vic, just stay out of my 6 foot buffer and we’ll get through this.

4. Mark August 24, 2020 at 5:56 am #

I haven’t lived in Chico long, but what world have you been living in? This isn’t the apocalypse, this is a prison of our own making, this is real life. Our society doesn’t care about the poor, it doesn’t care about helping people with their lives so they don’t have to be homeless, our society is about making as much money as you can so you can piss on that homeless guy. So you can buy rape islands for child sex slaves, so you can buy out congress so poor people have no say, so you can drive the entire planet into extinction to fulfill your sick and endless greed. This is the world the generations before me wanted, they said greed is good, go butcher an entire village of people and we will give you a medal. Start wars and take the plunder out of the bloody hands of the dead. No one cares. No one knows what to do. People just listen to whatever propaganda makes them feel better, they just want someone to point a finger at and blame, like you did to the homeless. We have no idea the potential of that homeless person you talked about, and we probably never will because no one gives a damn enough to try and make the world better, the only people who try to do things are pedos and murderers, they just wear white collars so they get away with it and dumb poor people like us get to work for them or vote for them or see them on TV. Look in the mirror, because odds are you supported all these policies that got us here. You support murder, you support child rape, you support killing the poor and blaming them for societies problems. Will you ever change? Can you look in the mirror and accept what you see? Who have you become, why are you so hateful? Why have you let fear turn you to hate? Odds are we are all going to die from climate change or violent conflict, I wonder how much you will long for this “apocalypse” when you see the hell that awaits us.

• Juanita Sumner August 24, 2020 at 6:03 am #

You don’t even know me Mark, you don’t know what trials I’ve been through, you don’t know how many people I’ve “been there” for, so lose the “you” crap.

Other than that, I’m glad to run your little diatribe if it makes you feel better. I’ll tell you what though – in my experience, most of these diatribes are about the self. You have a guilt trip about your own life, which is probably pretty shiftless – what have YOU ever done for anybody Fella? Here’s what YOU can do – YOU go to the Park and Ride, and YOU load that old man and all his crap into YOUR car, and YOU take him to YOUR house and YOU do something about it before YOU come bitching to me.

• Mark August 31, 2020 at 12:41 pm #

And what about all those people living in tents? Do you know them before you cast judgement from your privileged perch? Just so you know, I spend a lot of my fucking time trying to help people and clean up after past generations who have made a mess of this fucking world. You gave a guy a ride, good for you, really, most people won’t even give someone a ride. I wish you could have compassion for people who literally are at the bottom of society, who seriously need compassion and aid more than anyone else, I don’t know, I thought that’s what Jesus would do, but you know, most people would rather just post on facebook about what a great person they are, while they spit on those in need of aid and knowingly or not, want to march all the homeless into death camps so you don’t have to look at them, may god forgive you.

• Juanita Sumner September 1, 2020 at 6:30 am #

Great tactic Mark – put a stupid or inflammatory argument in somebody’s mouth, and then it’s easier for you to argue back against your own weak argument! In logic I think they call that The Straw Man.

I think you might be at the wrong website, this is not Facebook.

• bob August 24, 2020 at 9:19 am #

You are beyond absurd.

5. Lauren August 24, 2020 at 10:15 am #

I have a coworker who just lost her father to Covid. He wore a mask carefully. His wife did not. They both got it and he died within a week. Now the wife lives on without the love of her life.

This also happened to my cousin and her husband, but it was at the beginning when nobody was wearing masks. He was a teacher and a lovely person. He spent 30 day sin ICU alone. He’s gone now and my cousin after 40 years of marriage has to live on, without him by his side.

It’s a terrible virus. Please reconsider ditching the mask.

• Juanita Sumner August 25, 2020 at 6:46 am #

I’m sorry, names and dates, please. Most of the dead were either in prison/jail or rest homes.