Michael Jones: Police union plays hardball

7 Feb

Yes, we just watched Chico City Council approve police employee contracts that allow for salaries three to four times the median Chico income and only demand employees pay nine percent of their  total pension cost, and then saw Scott Gruendl turn around within two weeks and make a speech about how much financial trouble our city is in.

Yes, the cops own Gruendl, and his friends Sorensen and Morgan, donating thousands of dollars to those three campaigns in every election, and/or spending as much on their endorsement. See for yourself, at Michael Jone’s blog, Chico Politics.

Here Jones has documented the inappropriate relationship between certain councilors and the police department. They get their talking heads elected, and they enjoy salaries in excess of towns in Marin and Napa counties where the median income is twice as much as Chico’s.

I know, friends of mine are incensed over Randall Stone’s outing of police officer Todd Boothe’s Facebook antics. What ever happened to the investigation we were promised? It got swept under the rug just like we said it would. Durfee wants Stone off the Police Advisory Board and out of any decisions involving the police department? Oh, come on. If that’s the case, then Sean Morgan needs to take the same door – he told me in an e-mail that he is very close friends with Peter Durfee, has known him since going to school with him here in Chico, and makes frequent ride-alongs with Durfee in his patrol car, at all hours of the night. When I asked Morgan if he could attend an August Sunday morning CTA meeting, he answered,

“I’ll chose a Sunday and come on down. I’ll give you a heads up. Won’t be this Sunday as I’ll be out with your favorite police officer until 4:00 AM.”

If they want Stone out, then Morgan goes too.

Thanks Michael Jones and friends for going to a lot of trouble, a lot of research, and then putting it up in an easy-to-read format.

6 Responses to “Michael Jones: Police union plays hardball”

1. Michael Jones February 8, 2014 at 6:15 am #

Thanks Juanita 🙂

Looking forward to listening to County Supervisor Maureen Kirk on Sunday. These get-togethers with the candidates are really fun. Although there are political differences in the room, we all listen politely, and during the question-from the audience portions the questions are moderately tough. Good warm-up for the candidates 😉 We hope they all will be scheduling an appearance.

• Juanita Sumner February 8, 2014 at 7:22 am #

I’m so glad for the audiences we’ve had so far. It horrified me to think there would be nobody, and it horrified me to think, the place would be packed to overflowing. This is a manageable crowd, I think it’s a perfect setting for a comfortable, almost intimate conversation. It is not my intention to set these speakers up as pinatas, I hope everybody understands that, especially the candidates. But I’m glad people are asking good questions. I’d like to see more questions about water when we have our county incumbents.

Another thing I realized with Al Petersen – the county offices are all interesting, I’d like to get those people in whether they are opposed or not, to explain the function of their office. Our tax collector Linda Barnes is retiring, it looks like we will be screwed out of Democracy when the supes simply appoint a replacement. I think they ought to make the person run for the office. We’ll see what happens.

• Mary February 8, 2014 at 8:17 am #

Maureen is next Sunday, not tomorrow, right? I want to post a reminder on truthmatterschico.com and panicked a little that maybe I have the date wrong. Thanks for all you do!

• Juanita Sumner February 8, 2014 at 9:52 am #

Correct and thanks for asking – Maureen will be in on February 16, next Sunday. I will send her a reminder too, thanks for the heads up.

2. bob February 8, 2014 at 8:30 pm #

One benefit of having terminal cancer is that I won’t have to be around to put up with these public serpents any longer. My time is short and I just don’t give a damn any longer

• Juanita Sumner February 9, 2014 at 6:12 am #

You’re like my alter ego Bob! Oftentimes you say what I’m thinking.

Lately time seems to be closing in on me, I worry that I’m wasting valuable time with this political crap. I have met some nice people, like you, and Michael and Kelly. I’ve been virtually hanging out with the folks from Oroville and Marysville for Reasonable Water Rates, and they’re real Down Home. But, I have been wrestling people in Sack-o-tomatoes that make me want to stock up on ammo and put road blocks on Hwy’s 5 and 99. Then I look around myself and think, “and just who are you locking yourself in with up here?” Sheesh – stuck between a rock and a bucket of pig shit.

But, Bob, I will remind you, and ME, all we have that they can’t take from us or tax us on is our own attitude (like John Doe says, that’s it that’s all we get!). We can take that to the bank, and my bank account is full of piss and vinegar. Can I make you a loan, which you can pay me back on Tuesday?